Author Topic: Portuguese India: D. Filipe II (1598-1621) Bazaruco, Goa (Gomes-F2.15.01, KM#52)  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
Portuguese India: D. Filipe II (1598-1621) Bazaruco, Goa (Gomes-F2.15.01, KM#52)

Obv: Crowned arms divide GA in plain circle
Rev: Cross with stars in angles in plain circle

« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 10:22:35 PM by Quant.Geek »
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Offline ChrisHagen

• Meritorious Member
Size and weight info is extremely scarce on these on the web - would you mind posting the weight and diameter of your coin?

By the way I still haven't be able to identify mine :(

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
This is one of the coins I won in the ONS auction.  It has a weight of 2.30g.  According to Krause, it indicates that the weight is 2.10g.  Cross-referencing Gomes, the attribution seems incorrect (most likely due to the re-classification in later editions of Gomes).  It should be Gomes-F2.18.01 with a weight of 2.1-3.1g and size of 16-19mm.  Gomes-F2.15.01 is classified as a Meio Bazaruco with a weight of 1.2g and a size of 13mm.  This attribution is based on the 6th Edition of Gomes.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 02:53:08 PM by Quant.Geek »

Offline ChrisHagen

• Meritorious Member
Interesting how there are stars in the fields of the cross. On later issues you see the date in place of these stars. I guess the engraver felt that all that empty space needed some decorating. I wonder why he didn't just put the date there! Perhaps the dies were used for several years?

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
I have updated the measurements based on Gomes.  There are three different versions of this type of Bazaruco with the same size and weight classification of 16-19mm and 2.1-3.1g:

F2.16.01: (courtesy of Oesho and the coin used as the Plate Specimen in Gomes)

F2.17.01:

Similar to F2.18.01, but has ★ 2 / C D in the reverse field

F2.18.01 which is my coin above.  It has ★ ★ / ★ ★ in the reverse field

Offline Kevin Dsouza

:)

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
Very nice!  Glad to bump into another Portuguese India collector.  Too many BI collectors out there and not enough of the other colonies  :-\...