Author Topic: French WW2 Coinage  (Read 3492 times)

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Re: French WW2 Coinage
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2017, 09:24:04 PM »
hello Andig
i have all the coins minted from Reunion ,the first is year1955 and the last year 1973
best regards  Gerard

I have Reunion 2 francs 1948 stamped SOFIM

I see a 1 Franc was issued in 1948 too.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 09:35:13 PM by malj1 »
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2017, 09:28:00 PM »
My understanding is that the coins were delivered to the Free French in North Africa and thought of us emergency coins that would be distributed by French soldiers. It is quite evident that they were used in North Africa, but at the time, Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia were thought of as parts of France. Apparently, they were not used in Normandy, where the Free French participation was kept at a very low level. They were used for operation dragoon, which saw a fuller French participation (3 US divisions, 2 French divisions; naval forces counted 5 battleships, 3 US, 1 French, 1 UK).

The 2 franc coins saw circulation in the south of France. The stories of distrust and refusal are hard to impossible to believe. Who would prefer the money of the old regime, beaten as it was, over that of the new regime on a victorious streak? Rather, I think the military soon found out that they quickly disappeared, as they were heavier than the aluminium equivalents and Gresham's law was still valid.

Peter

Yes quite probable that they were used more than suggested in my quotation from the book. But why only the one denomination? ???

I see its listed under France in Krause.
Malcolm

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2017, 10:04:55 PM »
Sorry, there's a mistake in what I said above. These coins were neither struck by order of nor delivered to the Free French. They were a purely American initiative. This may well be the background of the "refusal and disgust" stories: they apply to Free French officialdom.

Throughout the war, there was friction between the Free French and the US/UK, caused by the latter's attempts to disqualify the former as full-fledged Allies. The folly and childishness of this is even clearer if you consider that at this point in time, the Free French forces was 400 000 strong, none were allowed on shore on the first day of operation Dragoon and only 900 were allowed to participate in the Normandy invasion.

Why no other denominations? I can only speculate - in their loathing and contempt for the Free French (consider that e.g. Dutch liberation coins were struck from 1943, according to pre-war specifications and design and in 3 denominations, while the French piece is likely to be the ugliest the Philadelphia mint ever produced, slightly too large and with the wrong country name*), any plans for other denominations may have been late and overtaken by events.

Peter

*All French coins minted after the French revolution are marked "République Française" or "RF". "France" occurs only on royal coins; a clear signal that the French were not consulted on the design.
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2017, 10:29:36 PM »
They also used France on the Allied occupation banknotes which from the allies point of view would be the correct title.
Malcolm

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2017, 10:43:56 PM »
from the allies point of view would be the correct title.

???
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 12:17:45 AM »
Maybe the US government wanted to emphasize that the coins and notes were issued "for" France. It was not the République Française that issued the coin, and it was not the Banque de France that issued those notes. So merely using "France" does make sense ...

Christian

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2017, 12:33:06 AM »
Yes that's it exactly and is what I was endeavouring to convey. They couldn't use any other title for the country.
Malcolm

Offline Paris

• liaison officer
    • French-speaking coin forum
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2018, 06:31:36 PM »
Hi,

Sorry, I do not have the time for reading the whole messages in this topic but just two things :
- my father used frequently or quite frequently coins with francisque during the 60's, but not later;
- as for the 2 francs Philadelphie, Americans printed in the USA a whole stamps series showing the "Arc de Triomphe" for being used by French people. This series is famous for two reasons : the values of the stamps were just decimal values, disconnected from the postal tarification (so it has been rarely used); and the "1,5 franc" had a spelling mistake : "1,50 francs" is written, in plural instead of singular.

Offline gerard974

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2018, 07:39:42 PM »
I have Reunion 2 francs 1948 stamped SOFIM

I see a 1 Franc was issued in 1948 too.

hello
look this link for the coins with SOFIM ,but i am sorry is in french    http://blog.cgb.fr/pdf/page10.pdf
best regards Gerard

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2018, 12:35:22 AM »
Thanks Gerard, I now have to find a way of translating it.  ;D
Malcolm