Author Topic: Horse fisherman on a coin?  (Read 1580 times)

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Horse fisherman on a coin?
« on: September 20, 2013, 04:59:33 PM »
Horse fisherman on euro coins
September 12, 2013

OOSTDUINKERKE - The royal mint will issue a set of euro coins for the coronation of king Filip next year. This set will include a coin with a horse fisherman from Oostduinkerke, designed by Jan Dieusaert, an artist from Koksijde. This is the Royal mint's reaction on a request of coin collector and secretary of the Order of Horse Fishermen, Luc Vandierendonck. The coin should increase popular knowledge of horse fishing and promote the candidacy of shrimp fishing on horseback as a UNESCO-listed immaterial world heritage. If UNESCO decides positively at the end of this year, this would be mentioned on the reverse of the coin.

Source: Het Nieuwsblad (Koksijde)
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
Re: Horse fisherman on a coin?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 07:59:29 PM »
What the heck is a Horse Fisherman?  What do they use for bait? A bale of Hay?

Dale

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Honorary Member
  • Varus - may i show you our forest?
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 09:40:44 PM »
I recommend a line with higher bearing capability, eg. those they take for the white shark.

;)

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 11:55:43 AM »
 :D :D :D

I thought you'd enjoy that. Google images for "paardenvisser" and be stupefied. They're shrimp fishermen. Note that the race of horse they are using is typical for Belgium and can be recognized by their "hairy hoofs". The animals are stronger and sturdier than your average Arabic racer. They can't run very well, but they pull well.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 02:40:06 PM »
Boo... you spoiled the image I had of a man with a fishing rode dangling it over a bunch of horses.  ;D

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 04:27:48 PM »
Note that the race of horse they are using is typical for Belgium and can be recognized by their "hairy hoofs".

Such koudbloedpaarden I see almost every day here. ;) But I think that Oostduinkerke is one of very few places where such horses are still used by fishers ...

Christian

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 10:41:54 PM »
That is a stout built horse!  Looks like fun.
Dale