Alexander III: Silver Drachm, Bee symbol, Price 2627, Sear 6728

Started by mitresh, October 04, 2013, 09:14:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitresh

Alexander III, Silver Drachm, 322-318 BC, 4.18g, 15.91mm, Sardes mint, struck under Philip III Arrhidaios, Price 2627, Sear 6728, Mueller 523

Obv: Head of Herakles right wearing lion headdress

Rev: ALEXANDROUto right of Zeus seated left, holding eagle in outstretched right arm and sceptre in left arm, Bee is left field, TI beneath throne

A significant coin which has been published on wildwinds.com, the Obverse is especially perfectly centred.
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

THCoins

Interesting coin Mitresh !
Difficult to examine the reverse due to the small size. Could you show a somewhat bigger one of just the reverse ?
On this small one the bee lacks a bit of detail but is clearly not the bee of ephesos.
I doubt your reading of Alexandrou. I would say it reads IΛΙΠΠΟ ?

mitresh

Anthony hi! - scan of reverse attached with close up of Bee as well.

I went back to the provenance of the coin and noted that the bee was marked as "?" meaning not sure whether it was a bee symbol or not however it does look like a bee! The bee on your coin is however much better detailed and realistic.

Quote from: THCoins on October 04, 2013, 11:20:52 AM

I doubt your reading of Alexandrou. I would say it reads IΛΙΠΠΟ ?

What does your reading mean?

ChrisHagen

I also read [Φ]IΛΙΠΠΟ[Υ], with the pi characters being that halfway thing between Γ and Π usually found on coins of Alexander's father. I guess, struck under Philip III Arrhidaios, his name got to be on the coin!

THCoins

I agree with you Mitresh, it looks most like a bee ! Can't make anything else of it.
ChrisHagens interpretation about the name is also what i was thinking.

mitresh

Thanks Anthony, Chris.

As you know, the script was all "Greek" to me  :) I'm stumped by so many scripts on coins I don't know (Greek, Persian, Brahmi, Arabic etc) that I have to depend mostly on the good faith and trust of the sources from where I procure my coins.

In this particular specimen, the coin ticket, together with the accompanying Certificate of Authenticity, mentions the legend as "Alexandrou".

Anthony - the bee on your coin is something else, a Queen Bee perhaps :D

What about the Obverse? Isn't the face so noble and regal - the high brow, aquiline nose, wide open eyes, curved lips, firm jaw........a model of male beauty representing the Greek obsession with fineness of human form as the highest manifestation of godliness.

THCoins

That again illustrates how limited the value of any "authenticity certificate" is  :-\.
For my personal liking, the portrait it is a bit to masculinely tough  ;D . In its class however is a very fine and expertly executed portrait, and also nicely centered on the coin.

ChrisHagen

mitresh

Hey thats wonderful Chris, thanks a lot! This really brings the coin to life.