News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Cambodia: Khmer Kingdom of Angkor (802-1369) Lead Three-Unit (MACW-5272)

Started by Quant.Geek, October 01, 2013, 09:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quant.Geek

Cambodia: Khmer Kingdom of Angkor (802-1369) Lead Three-Unit (MACW-5272)

I will be posting several coins of these lead-type coins from Cambodia.  Whether they are actual money or gambling tokens remains to be seen.  Most publications refer back to Mitchiner's attribution to the Khmer Kingdom of Angkor.  Any, more recent, analysis is much appreciated...

Obv: Five-lobed flan with floral lotus design repeated five times around the central hole
Rev: as obverse

A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Quant.Geek

Figleaf

In East Asia, the difference between money, opium weights and gambling tokens tends to be rather small.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

ChrisHagen

What a strange object! By the way, the first set of images seems to show the "obverse" twice. Though "obverse" makes no sense with these objects!

Certainly some unique pieces in any collection, I've gotta keep my eyes open!

Quant.Geek

Weird looking isn't it, but unique in its own way.  You are correct that the obverse picture was duplicated inadvertently.  I'll fix that with a new picture as these are directly from the dealer (my pictures never come out this nice  :-\)