Author Topic: Portuguese India - Arms / Cross (Diu Bazaruco?)  (Read 1326 times)

Offline ChrisHagen

• Meritorious Member
Portuguese India - Arms / Cross (Diu Bazaruco?)
« on: September 28, 2013, 06:59:09 PM »
Hello all,
Recently purchased this at auction and I am hoping that it's a genuine rarity!

It is copper, not tin. It's 14 to 14.5 millimeters in diameter, 3.9 mm thick, and weighs 4.15 grams.

On one side is visible the crowned Portuguese arms, and to the right of it I believe I see three arrows tied together. There is a partial inscription that I think reads "PH[...]" but it's tentative.

The other side has a cross inside a circle, inside a beaded circle. Seemingly no inscription.

This is definitely the best match I have found, but there is an inscription around the cross, not a beaded circle.

Do any of you wise gentlemen have any input?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 08:05:25 PM by ChrisHagen »

Offline ChrisHagen

• Meritorious Member
Re: Portuguese India - Arms / Cross (Goa?)
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 08:04:54 PM »
May have found one in this thread that is similar:

It is listed as:

"D. FILIPE III (1621-1640)

22º Vice Rei D. Francisco da Gama (1622-1628)

BAZARUCO N/D - COBRE

15 mm de Diametro - 7,19 peso

A.Gomes 01.04

PHILIPVS III REX PORTVGALAE
ANTONIO TELES DUX

Cunhada em DIU "

However the weight at 7.19 grams seems too high. Could this just be a varying weight? These issues were very crude!

Offline ChrisHagen

• Meritorious Member
Re: Portuguese India - Arms / Cross (Diu Bazaruco?)
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 12:45:06 AM »
I have been looking through Coinarchives Pro and all their coins are either dainty tin pieces around one gram or look much differently such as having the date or annulets in the angles of the cross.

My coin is also unique in that it has CROSS inside CIRCLE inside BEADED CIRCLE inside CIRCLE. This triple-circling I cannot find on any bazarucos (bazaruccos?) that I look at.

Any info much appreciated!

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 02:50:35 PM »
I looked through every coin under Portuguese India in Gomes' excellent book, to no avail.  The only possible match I could find was E1-01.02 which is classified as a "pseudo-money" Soldo of D. Manuel I, but it is in Calaim which looks something like, but has a similar reverse to yours:

A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

akona20

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 01:04:35 AM »
Damiao Peres wrote a couple of excellent papers in the early 1950's on the Portuguese coins of India. I no longer have the papers and they were written in Portuguese but they are a great source.

Offline ChrisHagen

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 02:22:18 PM »
Quant: Thanks a lot for looking through the book! Does Gomes list a weight for the coin you posted, the E1-01.02? Mine is 4.15g. Boths sides are slightly different still. The possible match I posted earlier remains the coin I have found which looks the most like my own.

Akona: thanks for the great reference. Sadly I have not been able to dig up these papers online. I did fine one more source, "Damião Peres: Catálogo das Moedas Indo-Portuguesas do Museu Numismático Português, 1975" which I can't find online either. The title of the book alone makes my mouth start watering! Seems that I'll have to visit a library soon!

Posting some more pictures because why not.

Offline ChrisHagen

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 02:30:06 PM »
And here is one more from Antonio Teles at 4.73g:

http://www.classicalnumismaticgallery.com/viewlot.aspx?itemid=5137...

Starting to feel good about this ID:

Portuguese India, Diu, Copper ½ Atia, Issue of Capitao Dom Antonio Teles e Menezes, Date off-flan (1621-1640), 4.15g.

I also found this one which is a bit later and has a date in the angles of the cross, but seems to be of a very similar type, strengthening my theory.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 02:46:08 PM by ChrisHagen »