Proposal to Nominate : Elizabeth II and the return of HK

Started by paisepagal, September 15, 2013, 06:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paisepagal

I would like to nominate this thread.

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,9872.msg66575.html#msg66575

The article captures very well the evolution of post WWII coinage of Hong Kong and the Territories' eventual return to China... I particularly like the explanation of how the bauhinia Flower was designed and Adopted and the circumstances under which it had to be done quickly and in secrecy. There is a dearth of background information on east Asian coinage and this article done a good job of introducing those like me who collect world coins but are looking to learn about culture (and inherent protocols) as well

Moreover, the thread is compact, well structured, illustrated with the right amount of images and has a sense of finality... any reader would easily spend 20mins or so reading this well crafted article.

Figleaf

This nomination is problematic, because the sources of the illustrations rare not disclosed. Please work with the author to make the thread eligible. Thank you.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

paisepagal

Just to clarify, are you referring to the sources of the information or sources of the pictures ? I can request the author to add the former...however for the latter, i assume that some if not all pictures may have been picked from random sites....and in case the source of these pictures cannot be traced, can we make a disclaimer of some sort ?

Figleaf

The agreed rules say:

QuoteSimilarly, attribute illustrations and make sure you have permission to use them wherever necessary (err on the side of caution.)

I think that means:

• Give a source for pictures free of rights or where permission is not necessary (own collection, wikipedia etc.)
  • State source for permission to use for pictures not free of rights (kind permission of the Scoundrel auction house, the State museum etc.) Personally, I think it is OK to use a picture if you have seriously requested permission twice and there is no reaction of any kind.
  • Where the source cannot be traced or permission obtained, use another picture - making changes is fine.
Similarly, I suspect that any quotes are from Wikipedia. They should be attributed and are otherwise not a problem.

Authors do not need to comply with the above (but stay within the framework of the law) for posts on other boards. They may decide not to compete for "Best of WoC" honours, which should be respected. We need full attribution only for "Best of WoC".

I have sent a PM to Natko, requesting attribution as above. As soon as his post complies with the above, my example nomination will turn into a real one.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

akona20

Check the rights on Wiki. I was refused rights to publish a picture illustrated in Wiki when I asked the gallery who owned the works to illustrate it in a book. I may add that since we have a formal publisher they have now requested that we use the image. My simple answer was no.

paisepagal

I will check with the thread originator and get back to you

dheer

Wiki to my understanding is covered by commons copyright, ie one can re-use with attribution if this is for free consumption, however if this is for something that is commercial, it can be used.
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

akona20

This photographic reproduction is therefore also considered to be in the public domain.
Please be aware that depending on local laws, re-use of this content may be prohibited or restricted in your jurisdiction. See Commons:Reuse of PD-Art photographs.

paisepagal