Author Topic: Obama dollar  (Read 6976 times)

Offline annovi.frizio

• Meritorious Member
    • FRIZIODESIGN
Obama dollar
« on: November 09, 2008, 01:55:51 AM »
honour for the new president..

;)

Frizio Graphic Designer
http://www.friziodesign.it/

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: Obama dollar
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 02:43:05 PM »
As part of the Presidential Dollars series, to be issued some time in the fairly distant future, it is OK. I would simply put "Barack Obama" on the coin though.

And then - yes, I know this is a fantasy design, but I am used to having dead people on US coins. (There are exceptions, but very few.) That, in combination with the one year only at the bottom, while it should hopefully say 2009-2013, I find a little creepy. What about something like YES WE CAN and the election or inauguration day instead?

Christian

Offline annovi.frizio

• Meritorious Member
    • FRIZIODESIGN
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 05:02:31 PM »
others graphic versions..

ok, this ???   8)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 08:04:45 PM by annovi.frizio »
Frizio Graphic Designer

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 10:36:53 PM »
Yes, those are better. :) Of these two, I prefer the upper design (with the almost photographic portrait), but on a presidential dollar the portrait would probably be "flatter" anyway. In that regard the frontal portrait comes closer ...

Christian

Offline annovi.frizio

• Meritorious Member
    • FRIZIODESIGN
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 10:42:28 PM »
ok, thank you..

I would like to know the opinion of some American people,  know US coin forum for this ?

-
Frizio Graphic Designer

BC Numismatics

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 10:49:45 PM »
Frizio,
  It is unlikely that America will ever depict Barack Obama on a coin,as their coinage legislation bans the depiction of living people on American coins.

Furthermore,in the case of the Presidential Dollars,the President has to have been dead for at least 2 years.Both Gerald Ford & Ronald Reagan do qualify for depiction on a coin,whereas,Jimmy Carter does not.

Aidan.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 11:55:23 PM »
If it's part of US law, how did Eunice Shriver end up on a 1995 commemorative dollar?

Anyway, the rules for the presidential dollars are indeed pretty complicated. I just searched and got this ... http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/31/5112.html

Scroll down to section "(n)", then:

(2 E) No coin issued under this subsection may bear the image of a living former or current President, or of any deceased former President during the 2-year period following the date of the death of that President.

(3 A) The coins issued under this subsection commemorating Presidents of the United States shall be issued in the order of the period of service of each President, beginning with President George Washington.

(4 A) The designs for the $1 coins issued during each year of the period referred to in paragraph (1) shall be emblematic of 4 Presidents until each President has been so honored, subject to paragraph (2)(E).

So yes, Frizio's design is likely to be a fantasy that will never turn into a coin. But who knows, the legislation for those coins has already been modified (think of the IGWT motto), and may be modified again ...

Christian
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 12:26:52 AM by chrisild »

Offline annovi.frizio

• Meritorious Member
    • FRIZIODESIGN
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 09:01:43 AM »
for me is sufficient for me a picture of fantasy. thank you for all. :-)
Frizio Graphic Designer

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 01:32:13 PM »
As for those US coin forums you asked about, well ... apparently your design caused a political "debate" in one of them. Now we may bore you with legal issues and details that are not really related to your designs, but at least this topic is still open. ;)

Christian

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 07:50:43 AM »
1.   I volunteered at a local Obama campaign center and I voted for Obama.  He’s articulate, intelligent, eloquent and charismatic.  The idea that we Americans actually elected an African American to the presidency brought tears to my eyes. I am, as a result of his election, momentarily, proud to be an American.
2.   He is pragmatic. He listens. But he is not the progressive that I would prefer as President.  I have some hope that he will be one of our great Presidents. We have had all too few of those.
3.   I do NOT want Obama on a coin.  Forgetting all of our legal issues, for one, putting him on a coin would set a precedent for Bush.  Frankly, I get upset with the concept. So, I agree, please, no living presidents or ex-presidents on coins. And two, I worry about Obama’s safety.  Placing him on a coin, an act of deification, might increase undesirable consequences.
4.   As for the three coin designs.. perhaps a coin to honor him should reflect his uniqueness in our political history, his appeal to the younger demographic, his multicultural heritage.  He is the first post Baby Boomer President and the first truly 21st century President of our country.  I would find a designer like Larry Rivers, expect living, to come up with something NEW. 
5.   And to leave or remove Hussein?  Tough question.  Moslem men have died fighting for our country.  Moslem Americans number in the millions.  They are my fellow Americans.  To remove it dishonors them.  Hussein is in fact Obama’s middle name.  Hussein is a beautiful name with a rich history. On the other hand, to leave it there is a political act that might be seen as casting dispersions on the man we wish to honor.  He’s living. So I would say, please consult him.  And if it were up to me and consultation was not a possiblity?  Then leave it in.  The coin will last for centuries.  Coins do, don't they?  And centuries from now, people would likely ask, why did we remove the middle name?  What in the world was thought to be wrong with "Hussein"?
richie

translateltd

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 10:41:01 AM »
He is the first post Baby Boomer President and the first truly 21st century President of our country.

I guess that depends on when you define the "baby boom" - I've usually taken it to refer to the period approx. 1945-65, so Mr Obama is still in that category, alongside Clinton and Bush Jr :-)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 11:16:57 AM »
3.   I do NOT want Obama on a coin.  Forgetting all of our legal issues, for one, putting him on a coin would set a precedent for Bush.  Frankly, I get upset with the concept. So, I agree, please, no living presidents or ex-presidents on coins. And two, I worry about Obama’s safety.  Placing him on a coin, an act of deification, might increase undesirable consequences.

That is the problem with such fantasy pieces. Many of us, myself included, when they see such a coin design, view it not only with regard to the artistic presentation but will also ask, how realistic is that? I know Frizio does not always like to see that last question being asked. ;)  So when I saw this design, I considered it to be a possible continuation of the Presidential Dollars series, to be issued some time in the distant future, not with the president depicted being alive.

I did and do not really care about whether such a continuation of the series, later this century, is possible according to current US law. Laws can be changed, even if that means GWB will one day be on a coin ... Now for the middle name, I certainly did not suggest to leave Hussein out for any political or religious reasons. It is much more simple - he is currently "known" as Barack Obama, with the middle name or middle initial hardly ever being used. If during his presidency that usage changes, then the changed usage should of course be reflected on a coin. (Again, I am talking about a coin honoring him some time after a hopefully long and good life.)

By the way, guess where I will be on January 20? Without a ticket for the ceremony of course, but heck, so what ... ;D

Christian

Offline annovi.frizio

• Meritorious Member
    • FRIZIODESIGN
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 02:08:57 PM »
yes, I'm sorry for cointalk... this my discussion is not politic but only pseudo-numismatic...
mcain if he had won I would have drawn the same a coin with your image and name..

regards and friendship for all (cointalk included)  :-)))
Frizio Graphic Designer

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 08:50:47 PM »
You won't be surprised that I prefer the third design, as I find it more innovative, modern and having more character and tension, though I admit that it is less easy to digest, since we're so used to profile portraits.

I enjoy this thread and I am proud that it contains relevant content.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline annovi.frizio

• Meritorious Member
    • FRIZIODESIGN
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 09:51:32 PM »
OK, no problem.. :-)
Frizio Graphic Designer