Author Topic: Another Irish coin  (Read 2372 times)

Offline ghipszky

• Honorary Member
Another Irish coin
« on: November 09, 2008, 01:32:07 AM »
Here is another Irish coin. Is this coin made out of aluminum?
Ginger

translateltd

Re: Another Irish coin
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 02:43:49 AM »
Cupro-nickel (75% copper, 25% nickel).  Once you've handled a few aluminium coins you'll get a feel for how light they are compared to Cu-ni coins of the same size.  Aluminium should feel almost like plastic by comparison.  If it feels like a "real coin" then it isn't aluminium!

Offline ghipszky

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 03:38:21 AM »
I have a few of those aluminum coins and at first it felt like play money or something.
It was probably easy to tell the difference, the Irish with the harp and the English with Queen Elizabeth II. Were they both made from the same metal?
Ginger

BC Numismatics

Another Irish coin.
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 03:41:30 AM »
Ginger,
 Yes,they are.The metal is cupro-nickel,which is quite heavy.

If you have a Japanese 1 Yen coin,that is an aluminium coin,which is very light.

Aidan.

Offline ghipszky

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 05:02:55 AM »
I will have to look and see if I have any Japanese money. I'll have to look, I have some world coins that haven't been sorted yet.
Ginger

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 01:47:30 PM »
Composition wise, this coin is the same as a US nickel: Cu75 Ni25. Aluminum coins are very light indeed. That is why sometimes (e.g. Romanian 1000 and 5000 lei coins from the years before the 2005 currency reform) an aluminum-magnesium alloy is used to make them heavier. But the Irish pence coins are definitely not "Al" pieces.

Christian

Offline tonyclayton

• Coins of the UK
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 08:32:18 AM »
Talking of aluminium coins, the ones that we saw in the UK were the Italian series, one of which was so like the old 5p (shilling) in size that they got used in parking meters.