Author Topic: Diameter of gold 2  (Read 1881 times)

Offline treluckey

• Reader
Diameter of gold 2
« on: September 06, 2013, 05:22:57 PM »
I was interested to measure two 'double sovereign' 2 coins, one dated 1887 the other 1995 (UN 50th anniversary proof with CoA). The modern coin had a diameter of 28.38mm, while the Victorian coin was 29.32mm. I also measured the thickness and mass of each. They both weighed 16.01g and their density was equal (to 3 dp and also equal to that of sovereign coins; while this figure is less than the value of 22ct gold, allowance must be made for the relief of the coin) which suggests both coins are made of the same material. I was very surprised at this difference in diameter, but I have not been able to find any authoritative statements about the tolerance of the diameter of these coins. Can anyone offer any comment please? Thank you.

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS UK
Re: Diameter of gold 2
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 06:38:59 PM »
Coincraft (Lobel, 1997) give a diameter of 28mm for both and a weight of 16g - they also caution to be wary of the large number of restrikes (in good gold) of the Victorian series.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline Mycoins

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 09:06:20 AM »
Coincraft (Lobel, 1997) give a diameter of 28mm for both and a weight of 16g - they also caution to be wary of the large number of restrikes (in good gold) of the Victorian series.

Is it known by whom those restrikes where made and in wich numbers they exist ?

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS UK
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 02:12:08 PM »
I'm none too sure what "restrikes" Coincraft refers to exactly - one would imagine pieces made by jewellers in the middle east.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline Mycoins

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 03:27:13 PM »
I'm none too sure what "restrikes" Coincraft refers to exactly - one would imagine pieces made by jewellers in the middle east.

I see, so we are simply talking about forgeries.

Offline tonyclayton

• Coins of the UK
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 04:32:34 PM »

These are not uncommon, I fear, particularly for the 1887 2. Compare carefully with the following image:

Offline tonyclayton

• Coins of the UK
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 04:34:32 PM »
Bear in mind that the initials B.P. come in two sizes. If they are missing you have a forgery.

Restrikes are not the appropriate word! They are NOT struck with the original dies.