Gwalior Rupee: Km 238 Question Concerning Years of mint

Started by Rangnath, November 07, 2008, 10:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangnath

The Ujjain Mint was responsible for several series of very similar rupees.  The primary differences were in the dating.  Km 238, or Lingen and Wiggins 18, used the regnal years of the British "Raj".  According to LW, the following years were recorded for this coin:  3, 8, 9, 22, 25, 26 and 28.  In the Standard Catalog, the following dates for Km 238 were listed:  3, 4, 8, 9, 20, 22, 25, 26 and 28.  There are some overlaps.  Perhaps these dates are not definitive.

Recently, I came across three Gwalior rupees of this type for sale with the dates of 1, 7 and 18. I have no image of these coins.  Do these dates make the identification of this coin suspect?

The image of the coin from the standard catalog is as follows.
richie

Figleaf

I'd hesitate with regnal year 1. I can't imagine dies being ready the same year, but since in numismatics there is at least one exception for every rule, nothing is impossible.

Dates 7 and 18 seem quite possible. Much remains to be discovered about the coins of the Indian subcontinent. However, all three unknown dates together in one lot would make me suspicious again.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.