Author Topic: Samanid: Nasr I (250-279AH/864-892AD) Fals, Samarqand mint, 256AH (Album-1441)  (Read 1189 times)

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
Samanid: Nasr I (250-279AH/864-892AD) Fals, Samarqand mint,  256AH (Album-1441)

« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 08:06:48 PM by THCoins »
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
I am starting to suspect you make them yourself with a 3D printer or an old coin press called the Maiden of Nuremberg :-X

And I thought I was the only one using the Uzbek spelling of Samarqand. Since they own the place now, I figure they know how to spell it.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
Thanks Peter for the complement.  This is a very recent acquisition from Heritage Auctions.  Fortunately, there really wasn't much interest for this coin and hence I got it for a ridiculous price!  I just want to get a better attribution as I don't have Album...

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
SNAT (Sylloge Nummorum Arabicorum Tubingen) Vol.XVa. Buhara/Samarqand, No. 686.

Your specimen is far better than theirs, so much so that at first I thought it was a different type, but theirs has different and cruder dies.

Alan

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
Thanks Alan.  I usually go to http://islamiccoins.ancients.info for legend translations, but their database has been down for a while.  Any information on the legend?  I have uploaded a high-resolution image of the coin on zeno at www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=128375

Ram

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
Can you tell what's the formula of the text on the reverse rim? I'm asking, because in this coin, that text has been omitted.
-- Paul