Author Topic: Music: Famous Conductors on Coins  (Read 3638 times)

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
Re: Music: Famous Conductors on Coins
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 08:30:21 PM »
Hi, Peter.

In response to your post #14, the 6 coins I have in the "Conductor" topic are there based on my perception as to the main contribution to music the person featured on the coin has made. The problem is that there are many other Music Coins with Conductors on them, but MY criteria determined (possibly incorrectly) that the person featured on a particular coin, while known for conducting, is also known for composing or other musical area. I depended on my Music School training and research online to determine into which category a coin should be placed. Of course, my personal prejudices may play a part as well as having conductor/composer coins listed as "Composers". This is my main love in the Music Coin" set. Still, I did try to place every coin where MOST appropriate but I'm sure there are many MANY pieces that could be moved into the Conductor set.

Alan

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 08:57:01 PM »
Well, you can't split up a coin, but in WoC, you can post a coin several times. So if e.g. one of the Strausses was a composer, a conductor and playing electric guitar, you can put that same coin up in the composer thread, the conductor thread and the musician thread if you wish. If you want to be really lateral, you can even add links to the posts in the other threads. No one will ever complain about too many coin pictures ;)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 10:06:02 PM »
Wow, Peter.

That WOULD be an undertaking. Heck, I'm 63 years ancient, have a 2 year old grandson I want to spoil, some more countries I want to haunt that I haven't been to yet...I think I will save your idea of cross-referencing a zillion music coins in a file labeled, "In my Next Lifetime".  ;)

Not related...I believe a contributor here published a book on the Coins and Bank Notes of Yugoslavia. I just ordered a copy as I have my 1979-81 years of collecting while living in Belgrade to look up and learn about. I'm looking forward to the book!!

Alan

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 10:10:00 PM »
Oh, does anyone know why Honneger was placed on a coin commemorating the Swiss National Bank???

Sure. :)  This is explained here:
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,22984.msg94035.html#msg94035

In a nutshell, Arthur Honegger was (and still is) on the 20 Fr banknote. And the designer of the coin thought it would a neat idea to use some significant element of one of the notes for the silver coin. :)  Similarly, the designer of the attached postal stamp (which also commemorated the SNB anniversary) used the design of the 100 Fr banknote, featuring the sculptor Giacometti, for his stamp.

The 500 Schilling coins with Herbert von Karajan and Karl Böhm were parts of a series, by the way: Conductors of the Vienna Philharmonics. There's Karajan and Böhm (1991), but also Gustav Mahler and Richard Strauss (1992) ...

Christian

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 04:48:16 PM »
Hello, Chrisild.

As always, thanks for your valuable contributions to this (and many) topics. I appreciate your explanation of why Honneger is linked on a coin with the SNB. If I was in charge of the mint...I would be scratching my head about the connection...but none the less, the issuance of the coin creates another opportunity for an interesting (though confusing) addition to the composer set.

Regarding the Austria Mahler and Strauss conductor coins, I have them both...but guess where they are filed...in my "Composer Coins" album. So, there's an excellent example of how 1 coin could rightfully be filed in 2 different places.

Have a great day/evening everyone. Alan

Uploaded with ImageShack.us