Author Topic: Braille coins  (Read 4498 times)

Offline tbabinszki

• Blind Coin Collector
Re: Braille coins
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2015, 04:36:15 AM »
Thank you, I wasn't aware of it. I already have a nice list of countries with Braille coins, but I had no idea about Ecuador.
Would you mind posting some KM numbers?
It is a relatively difficult topic to research, because many searchable catalogs don't contain the braille keyword. I had most luck with Numista, I started putting together a collection, because I figured there's no point to publish about it before I own most of the coins. Maybe that's just an excuse to extend my collection:-)
Interestingly, I'm finding some blindness related, but not braille coins as well. Originally I was only going to research circulation coins, but I'm finding more commemoratives which maybe an interesting addition.
This research has been dragging for years now, bot I promise I'll publish something in the near future.
Tom

Offline gerard974

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2015, 07:14:28 AM »
hello Tom
is the coins that i have for Peru
Gerard

2nd reform                  
1 centimo   303,1      large braille no accent         VF   1991
1 centimo   303,3   Large braille accent         UNC   1999
5 centimos   304,1   large braille no accent         XF   1992
5 centimos   304,2   large braille no accent         XF   1998
5 centimos   304,4a   small braille accent above E         XF   2007
10 centimos   305,1   large braille no accent         F   1991
10 centimos   305,2   large braille no accent         XF   1997
10 centimos   305,3   small braille accent above E         VF   2000
20 centimos   306,1   large braille no accent         F   1996
50 centimos   307,3   small braille accent above E         VF   2000
1 nuevo sol   308,1   small braille           XF   1991

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2015, 02:18:21 PM »
Would you mind posting some KM numbers?

Tom

Hello Tom, pleased to help:

50 centavos, 1988 and 1991: KM#90.
5 sucres, 1988 and 1991: KM#91.
10 sucres, 1988 and 1991: KM#92.
20 sucres, 1988 and 1991: KM#94.
50 sucres, 1988 and 1991: KM#93.

The one sucre coin was reduced in size for the new set, but strangely it did not include braille, probably because it simply reprised the traditional portrait of their national hero, Sucre.

These coins are all very inexpensive to buy, so I expect you'll be adding them to your collection very soon.

Offline tbabinszki

• Blind Coin Collector
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2015, 04:47:09 PM »
K, thank you for the Ecuador KM numbers. Yes, definitely, I'm going to try to get them all. It appears that it is doable to put together a complete collections, so far nothing seems to be unreasonable to get.

Also, thank you Gerard, I wasn't aware of some of these. I just got a 20 Centimos coin.

Offline obsessed

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2015, 10:17:48 AM »
Hello

I would like to thank all of those who participated and mentioned all available coins with Braille Since I collect the same topic for coins ( and stamps) when i thought i have them all ,I found this forum and came to read about Ecuador coins :o .. well .. some of the coins i have one pc only, i am planning to double them ..

I also try to collect the Banknotes with BRAILLE not the usual mark for blinds. such as Canada.

today I noticed some dots on the Luxemburg  KM#119 , 2 Euro Coin 2012 ( Ten years of Euro ). I am not sure if they were part of the desin, or Braille .. I tried using the Braille Convertor , but got nothing.
what do you think?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 10:45:56 AM by obsessed »

Offline tbabinszki

• Blind Coin Collector
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2015, 04:21:51 PM »
I am personally not aware of it, but this doesn't mean much. Especially when it comes to a dot or two, it could be Braille, but the most important thing to look into is what is the intention of the dot.
These coins are not too well documented, I found about 20 in the Numismaster catalog, 40 in Numista, but personally I'm aware of more than 60.
I think most of them are easily available.
I don't know much about Braille stamps, it is on my to-do list, but I should have a number of notes with Braille and tactile marks from my travels. If you contact me personally, I can send you what I have. I believe there are many more notes with markings for blind people, since that is very practical. Most coins with Braille are not necessarily to help blind people to recognize a given coin, rather, for Braille/disability awareness.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2015, 08:29:34 PM »
I suppose dealing with English text on a computer is not too complicated. My computer can easily be convinced to speak or read English text. It is sublimely ridiculous in other languages, as it tries to pronounce everything in English. However, from the above thread, it looks like you can at least do something with pictures. That would be mighty interesting, but maybe I am misinterpreting what you are saying.

As for the Luxembourg coin, I am not familiar with the Braille convertor, but it looks like it could be a good judge of whether it is actually braille or not...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline obsessed

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2017, 11:56:55 PM »
Hello all..
Well I dropped by to see if any of you has any update..as for me I can say I almost have all what was listed above ..
Still looking for 10 Korun year 2000 though.

And still wondering if the 2 Euro Coin has Braille or not and it's a joint issue .. not only from Luxembourg

I am not sure if this was mentioned/listed
50 Yuan Taiwan 1996 ..
The Peru..Mexico..Costa Rica.. got at least 1 pc of each value ..

My new theme now ..is World Expo..commemorative coin/banknotes..😊

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2017, 02:26:16 PM »
While braille is as good as any collecting theme, it is clear that it has limitations. In many cases, I doubt that the braille is clear enough to be felt by the blind.

Shape and edge of the coin are helping them more effectively to distinguish the different denominations. The euro coins are a prime example. The size differences and edges of the coins are chosen particularly with the blind in mind and with their advice.

Your theme of World Expos may offer better prospects. Happy hunting.

Peter
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 03:08:59 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline tbabinszki

• Blind Coin Collector
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2017, 12:17:15 PM »
Well, with the expo coins, you have picked an easier topic.
But answering the question, I didn't give up the research, and there is some progress, but not enough to publish.
I found that there are at least twice as many coins with any braille than the catalogs mention.
And Peter, you are correct when you say that braille is not there for blind people to recognize the coins. For that matter, this is part of my research, why on earth are mints producing coins with braille if it mostly cannot be felt, with a few exceptions. The answer seems to be social awareness, not recognition. There are a few discussions out there about coin recognitions for the blind, but that alone deserves another topic.
So far, I have a list of coins, now I'm trying to go back to original articles around the issues and figure out what the motives were in the different countries.