Ancient Indian Coins Revisited by Pieper, Wilfried

Started by Quant.Geek, August 11, 2013, 02:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quant.Geek

A new edition of Ancient Indian Coins is now published by CNG.  It is an updated version of Bopearachchi & Pieper 1998 Ancient Indian Coins with updated attributions and even more coins added.  Did anyone here pick this up? And if so, care to comment on the book.  I am thinking about purchasing this one (http://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=241308)

A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

THCoins

I already ordered this. However, shipment will probably take some time. Will write a short review once it arrives.

Quant.Geek

Thanks Anthony.  It seems to be very promising  :D

Quant.Geek

Well, given his previous book, I figured it is probably well worth it.  So, I couldn't resist and bought the book  ;D.  I'll let you guys know how it is once I receive it.  Definitely looks promising, especially having one reference book for several dynasties and periods...

Figleaf

When you get it, I would appreciate an ISBN for our bibliography.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Quant.Geek

Just got it and I couldn't be happier!  Excellent reference book for Ancient Indian Coins.  The ISBN number is 978-0-9837652.  I'll do a better review once I spent some time with it, but it has several new coins that was missing attributions in my collection, but it is also missing some coins that have already been attributed by Mitchiner...

Figleaf

Thank you. Number seems a bit short in view of other ISBN numbers in the bibliography. Could there be 81 before the 0? Not that I get any hits on either from Mr. Google...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Doug_H

Figleaf -

I just received the Pieper book and confirm that the ISBN number on the inside cover is 978-0-9837652.  If it helps, the Library of Congress control no. is 2013938768.

Doug

Figleaf

Thanks Doug. I believe you all. As a student, 40 years ago, I had a job as a telephone operator (believe it or not.) That teaches you to count numbers at a glance and know immediately if a number is missing or superfluous.

Peter

Overlord

Does anyone know if it is available in India (offline or online)? Tried finding it on Amazon India but couldn't.