News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Coins of Anguilla

Started by BC Numismatics, October 25, 2008, 02:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BC Numismatics

The Liberty Dollar coins of Anguilla are very sought after by British Commonwealth coin collectors,as they were counterstamped on various Dollar-sized coins to commemorate Anguilla's independence from St. Kitts in 1967.In 1968,a silver $25 medal-coin was issued,followed by a series of medal-coins in 1969-70.

No,I haven't got any banknotes or coins from Anguilla,but I do have a 1 Pound postal order dated 2003 from there though.

Aidan.

Galapagos

In fact, Anguilla never received independence from St. Kitts in the 1960s, Aidan. A small force of British bobbies and paratroopers was sent to put down their unilateral bid for independence in 1969. I well remember reading about it as a schoolboy. All the islanders got smacked and sent to bed without any supper, and they all behaved themselves after that.

a3v1

A 1970 coin in my possession reads "St. Christopher - Nevis - Anguilla".
St. Christopher = St. Kitts.
So, in 1970 Anguilla definitively was not a separate state.
Regards,
a3v1
Over half a century of experience as a coin collector.
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

BC Numismatics

Anguilla was an independent state in 1967,which is why it seceded from the federation with St. Kitts & Nevis.

A3v1,your $4 medal-coin was issued by St. Kitts & Nevis as a way of claiming sovereignty over Anguilla.

Here's an article; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Anguilla .

Aidan.

Galapagos

Quote from: BC Numismatics on October 25, 2008, 07:50:22 PM
  Anguilla was an independent state in 1967,which is why it seceded from the federation with St. Kitts & Nevis.

A3v1,your $4 medal-coin was issued by St. Kitts & Nevis as a way of claiming sovereignty over Anguilla.

Here's an article; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Anguilla .

Aidan.

Its independence was a fantasy, never gained. As your Wikipedia article says:-

"It was not until 19 December 1980 that Anguilla formally disassociated itself from Saint Kitts to become a separate British dependency. While Saint Kitts and Nevis went on to gain full independence from Britain in 1983, Anguilla still remains a British overseas territory."

Figleaf

Moreover, all the countermarked coins were produced in the US and never reached the islands. These are commercial fantasy pieces.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

BC Numismatics

I've got an Anguillan $5 note from the 2003 issue of the East Caribbean Central Bank coming in the mail from Australia.The 2003 issue is the final issue that the individual islands have issued their own notes.Since early this year,the East Caribbean Central Bank has issued a combined issue,which has no country code suffix letter at the end of the serial number,& no bar coding either.

Aidan.

MORGENSTERNN

Here a picture of one of those "liberty dollar"