Author Topic: Singapore Historical Figures.  (Read 1769 times)

Offline SquareEarth

• cn jp kr vn
Singapore Historical Figures.
« on: July 16, 2013, 04:23:05 PM »
A very rudimentary attempt on Singapore Coinage, using some online program.
Usually Singapore coins are quadri-lingual, but it's kind of hard for me to do so...
You can assume they are on the edges.

Raffles/His town planning.

Tan Lark Sye/Nantah

Adnan Saidi/His Comrades

Notes:
1) I Cannot find a satisfactory image of Elizabeth Choy
2) Sorry, but I know very little about Singapore Indian heroes
3) I do think Singapore's historical figures are underrepresented on her coinage and banknotes.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 01:05:52 PM by Niels »
Tong Bao_Tsuho_Tong Bo_Thong Bao

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Singapore Historical Figures.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 05:08:50 PM »
Well done Hao Chuan! Yes, there are very few portraits on Singaporean coins. There is probably a reason. You may have already met it: in order to be racially neutral, you need more or less equal representation of Chinese, Malays, Indians and Europeans. That is not easy to achieve. Also, Lee Kuan Yew deserves to be in such a series, but he is still alive. Having said that, I think your selection of subjects is in good taste. I hesitated seeing Raffles, but his importance to Singapore as a city developer is undeniable. I enjoyed reading about Tan Lark Sye, also because I share his belief in the importance of education for all as a tool for development and democracy.

Not so heroic, but wouldn't Peranakan culture be a worthy subject for a coin? How do you picture the  essence of a whole culture with so little space available? I am also thinking of landmarks now disappeared, such as old Chinatown, the junks of Aberdeen and the original Change Alley.

Technically, I think the Singapore mint would insist on a denomination in numbers and a date. Together with the languages, that will mean less space available for the pictorials. Even though I think your reverses are fine (Nantah main gate is my favourite), they may be too detailed to be maintained. Of course, you are thinking of this as your fantasy, but working in a round, small and restricted area is a major challenge to real coin designers.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline SquareEarth

• cn jp kr vn
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 05:38:24 PM »
Well done Hao Chuan! Yes, there are very few portraits on Singaporean coins. There is probably a reason. You may have already met it: in order to be racially neutral, you need more or less equal representation of Chinese, Malays, Indians and Europeans. That is not easy to achieve. Also, Lee Kuan Yew deserves to be in such a series, but he is still alive. Having said that, I think your selection of subjects is in good taste. I hesitated seeing Raffles, but his importance to Singapore as a city developer is undeniable. I enjoyed reading about Tan Lark Sye, also because I share his belief in the importance of education for all as a tool for development and democracy.

Not so heroic, but wouldn't Peranakan culture be a worthy subject for a coin? How do you picture the  essence of a whole culture with so little space available? I am also thinking of landmarks now disappeared, such as old Chinatown, the junks of Aberdeen and the original Change Alley.

Technically, I think the Singapore mint would insist on a denomination in numbers and a date. Together with the languages, that will mean less space available for the pictorials. Even though I think your reverses are fine (Nantah main gate is my favourite), they may be too detailed to be maintained. Of course, you are thinking of this as your fantasy, but working in a round, small and restricted area is a major challenge to real coin designers.

Peter

Other than being racially neutral, another problem is being politically neutral. If Lee is featured on the coin, as a member of the ruling PAP, should Lim Chin Siang or other opposition politicians also be there? Although I think both of them deserve. But sadly, they would be featured in a distant future, when they are less relevant to the current politics of Singapore.

Yes, Paranakan culture is an excellent theme. That would be a subject of another set of Coins or Banknotes, alongside with Malay, Tamil, Hakka, Cantonese and European cultures etc (these culture were indirectly reflected in the "boat series" notes.

As for denominations, dates and languages, there are always ways.

Offline SquareEarth

• cn jp kr vn
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 05:43:34 PM »
Thank you for appreciating the Nantah Gate design :)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 04:37:09 PM »
I see why you are not happy with the Elizabeth Choy pictures. Too unsharp or too old. Maybe this drawn portrait inspires you?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.