Books on British trade tokens

Started by BC Numismatics, October 25, 2008, 10:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BC Numismatics

Peter,
  Doesn't Dalton & Hamer list any silver traders' currency tokens at all?

I'm hoping to get my computer power box rebuilt before the end of January 2009.

As soon as I am able,I will upload some photos.

Aidan.

Figleaf

D&H lists earlier tokens, around 1787 to 1797. These are different in nature and struck with different minting techniques. Not all the tokens D&H lists circulated. The silver tokens listed by D&H were usually struck with halfpenny dies and for collectors, never for circulation. All are rare.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

BC Numismatics

Peter,
  I'm not familiar with the Davis catalogue at all.

Aidan.

Figleaf

W. J. Davis, The Nineteenth Century Token Coinage, first edition 1904, reprinted 1969 by Seaby, 1979 by Sanford Durst, ISBN 0-915262-28-2.

If you are a casual collector, you are cheaper off with: Peter Seaby and Monica Bussell, British Tokens and their values, London, 1970 - Seaby publication, ISBN 0-900652-11-X. Personally, I find the price for this book somewhat ridiculous, but you do get the 16th, 17th and 18th century listings without the collectors issues in one book.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

BC Numismatics

Peter,
  The British Isles traders' currency tokens that were for collectors at the same time as the currency ones are also very popular as well,as they are definitely legitimately part of the series.Some of the collectors' coins could have ended up in circulation at that time,due to the perennial coin shortage.

Aidan.

Figleaf

If you like the 18th century tokens, you'll also want to look at this book, which is on the BOE token issues of this period.

Peter

Figleaf

Just as today's pseudo coins, that depends on issue price. If you buy a halfpenny for sa threepence, because it is part of a set of London buildings, you are unlikely to spend it. However, someone may make a mistake and spend it by accident, just as I from time to time pick up coins that were issued in sets only, above face value.

If you receive a token halfpenny for a half penny, yo may like its design and keep it, but you are more likely to spend it again.

As a rule, tokens you see practically only in nice quality or large series of designs or pretty irrelevant designs did not circulate. It's the worn dogs that did the real work.

Peter