Satavahanas: Copper Coin of Vasithiputa Pulumavi, circa 200 AD

Started by mitresh, July 03, 2013, 11:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitresh

Satavahanas, Vasithiputa Pulumavi, Copper, 4.95g, circa 200 AD

Satavahana Dynasty, also known as the Andhras, came to power in South India following the collapse of the Mauryan Empire in circa 200 BC. Their coins are usually found in copper, lead and potin. Some coins in silver also feature the Kings bust.

Most Satavahana coins bear the so-called prominent "Ujjain" symbol consisting of 4 concentric circles joined together with a cross, and animal motifs mainly, Lion, Horse & Elephant.

The Obverse of the featured coin bears an elephant with upraised trunk (as in salutation) with the Ujjain symbol atop the elephants head and circular legend in Brahmi around. The Reverse features an expansive tree-in-railing with spread out leaves and pellets in between, struck slightly off centre.
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Figleaf

I see something at 12 o'clock on the back of the elephant. A rider, maybe? Or another symbol?

The tree in railing shows an interesting artistic problems. Leafy trees are hard to draw. If the trunk is real size, the leaves are so small the "consumer" of the art will not recognize them and if the leaves are recognisable, the coin is too small for the tree. For an extreme and much later example:

Meanwhile, that is a lovely and exquisitely detailed coin with a natural and graceful looking elephant. TFS.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

mitresh

The symbol on the back of the elephant is most probably a conch based on attribution for similar such coins.
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

RG

A recent addition looks almost same to me but as legends are sadly missing can't attribute. Copper coin of weight 2.1 gram.
As per seller coin is saying Kosikiputra Siri Satakarni, Nasik Type.

Obverse: elephant turned right with upraised trunks, Ujjain symbol above , Brahmi legends around ( ?)
Reverse: Tree in railing (Leaves missing.. :(  ).

Can seniors help me fix the attribution please..