News:

The Grand Event: an all-stars happening. Make sure you don't miss it!

Main Menu

German South-West Africa: Wertmarke Präzisionsschießstand

Started by FosseWay, July 01, 2013, 09:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FosseWay

Got this somewhat unexpectedly in a batch of Swedish tokens. Some ferretting around on the net suggests that it is not from homeland Germany but rather from Swakopmund, South-West Africa (i.e. Namibia). One sold on South African eBay for the equivalent of £12-ish, which rather surprised me. From the text I imagine it has something to do with a shooting range but any confirmation of any of the above would be welcome.

chrisild

"Präzisionsschießstand" would be "precision shooting range" but I guess you guessed that. ;)  And I suppose that the "1874" is not a value nor a year but some kind of number ...

Christian

malj1

This is a commonly seen type of slot machine token with British, German and French types, this African one of course would be much rarer. A similar 'SAPHO' one is shown below.

"1874" would the serial number of a slot machine, in this case possibly for a shooting range type.

The image below is the best I could find at short notice but a little older!
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

FosseWay

Yes, the 1874 is definitely a serial number. The one I mentioned that I saw on SA eBay had a number in the 1100s IIRC but was otherwise identical.

I have a number of other similar tokens, some with Wertmarke, and also the Sapho one.

malj1

A patent for a similar SHOOTING GAME APPARATUS is available on eBay at present.

PATENT SPECIFICATION No. 504,814. APPLICATION DATE: July 25, 1936 (Switzerland); July 26, 1937 (UK). SPECIFICATION ACCEPTED: Not Accepted. TITLE: IMPROVEMENTS IN SHOOTING GAME APPARATUS. APPLICANT: ALEXANDRE DURR of Rue Neuve 3, Lusanne, Switzerland. Brief Description of Patent: The present invention relates to a shooting game based on skill, which can also be utilised as an apparatus for distributing prizes, the release of these latter being made dependent solely upon the skill of the marksman, who can himself bring the prize chosen or the member retaining the same into the field of fire by means of a remote control.

??? is the one?  ;D
Malcolm

malj1

I have found a similarly named Präzisionsschützenstand here. this looks to be very similar, even down to a coin-slot which appears to about the right size.

Whilst researching these shooting range tokens further I have added my own varieties to my web page here showing my own collection.
Malcolm