Author Topic: Portuguese India, Goa: D. Josť I 1769 15 Bazarucos (Gomes Jo:17.02, KM#138.2)  (Read 819 times)

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
Portuguese India, Goa: D. Josť I 1769 15 Bazarucos (Gomes Jo:17.02, KM#138.2)

Not the greatest picture.  I'll retake this one at a later time. Note that the metal used is Tutenag and not Tin as indicated in Krause.  According to zeno.ru (see http://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=55682):

Tutenag is an aloy used for coins of low value. It has the appearance of tin, and therefore often as such be defined in many catalogues. Gerson da Cunha Contributions to the study of Indo-Portuguese Numismatics, Bombay 1883, describes the alloy as 40.4% copper, 25.4% zinc, 31.6% nickel and 2.6% iron. Recent X-ray fluorescence (XRF) analysis of a number tutenag coins of 20 bazarucos, produced at Diu during the period 1768-1827, indicates a much higher zinc content (70-94%) and only 0.1-0.4% copper and no nickel at all. See: T.D. Yih and J. de Kreek, Preliminary data on the metallic composition of some S.E.-Asian coinage as revealed by X-ray fluoresence (XRF) analyses, Spink Numismatic Circular CI-1 (7-9), London 1993.

Obv: Crowned arms divide GA
Rev: Value, date within wreath

A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.