Author Topic: WW1 Coins in 2014? (and other war commems)  (Read 34615 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: WW1 Coins in 2014? (and other war commems)
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2014, 11:15:24 AM »
Since these coins are supposed to c---rate the anniversary of the beginning of that war, well, even in Germany there were many examples of "hooray patriotism" that you can still see and read. Keep in mind that, in that war, the common view in Germany was that it was forced upon the country; the Deutsches Reich had to be loyal to Austria, counter the French and British ambitions, and so on.

I have seen several photos of soldiers who left home to fight, and who looked similarly enthusiastic. Again, I find it strange to dedicate coins to the beginning of military action. But if somebody made a movie about soldiers at the beginning of WW1, well, showing smiling soldiers, and sad or weeping wives and mothers, would not be all that unrealistic ...

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2014, 11:17:40 AM »
I wonder where those smiles are. I don't even see mouths, especially on the woman.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2014, 11:46:46 AM »
The RCM has some hi-res images here (FTP). Attached are the face clips, so to say. And yes, if you buy such a "coin", you will not see these details with "just" your eyes ...

Christian

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2014, 01:16:54 PM »
Yeah, soldiers would have probably been happy to go to war. And they would have seen the posters. These are all facts of the time, and appropriate when looking at what actually happened. We're not into changing history, just observing what happened and reporting on it.

Offline SquareEarth

• cn jp kr vn
« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2014, 06:05:18 PM »
After Australia, it is Canada who is issuing the coin on the subject.
It was released in presence of Korean Ambassador to Canada, Minister of  Veteran's Affairs and President of Veterans Association.
A re-production of the Korea Medal (.uk, .ca, .au, .nz)
Tong Bao_Tsuho_Tong Bo_Thong Bao

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2014, 10:00:53 PM »
Having been through a war on your own territory may make a difference. Many years back, I was part of an official delegation visiting South Korea. Our hosts assumed we wanted to visit the memorial they had erected for Dutch soldiers killed in the Korean war. They had organised everything, from the Dutch national anthem to some flowers for all delegation members. I was exceptionally impressed with our hosts.

Shamefully, not only did I not know there was such a monument (I was the Korea desk officer of the ministry of economic affairs), the monument was wholly maintained by the Koreans and I have yet to meet any Dutchman who knows as much as where it is.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2014, 10:19:07 PM »
Malta will issue a silver numismatic coin commemorating the 100th anniversary of the First World War and Malta’s role as the “Nurse of the Mediterranean”. This coin will be issued in April 2014.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2014, 11:38:15 AM »
There are going to be two coins with same design but different specifications and prices. Silver and base metal in rolls.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2014, 10:15:48 PM »
Der Spiegel has a very succinct piece of analysis of how the aftermath of WW1 is still affecting the Middle East. The blame is laid on France and perfidious Albion (Britain!):

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/world-war-i-led-to-a-century-of-violence-in-the-middle-east-a-946052.html

Offline SquareEarth

• cn jp kr vn
« Reply #84 on: February 05, 2014, 08:52:07 AM »
Der Spiegel has a very succinct piece of analysis of how the aftermath of WW1 is still affecting the Middle East. The blame is laid on France and perfidious Albion (Britain!):

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/world-war-i-led-to-a-century-of-violence-in-the-middle-east-a-946052.html
The sheikhs, emirs, free officers and Baathist dictators may be heavy-handed, but they are angels as compared to the Ottoman Empire.

By the way, do any of you know German stamps/coins for Armin Wegner
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 09:02:59 AM by SquareEarth »
Tong Bao_Tsuho_Tong Bo_Thong Bao

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2014, 11:58:54 AM »
Good points both (though the mores of the times should be taken into account.) No coins, no stamps for Armin Wegner. We commemorate violence but not justice.

Peter

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2014, 02:37:58 PM »
No coins, no stamps for Armin Wegner. We commemorate violence but not justice.

Agreed with the first sentence. As for the second one, it may depend on who "we" is. In such a general sense it is not right, I think.

Christian

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2014, 09:56:23 AM »
Australia has issued a 1 Dollar coin on Feb 13th to commemorate centenary of Anzac.
The mintage will be 23 million.
Anzac stands for Australia and New Zealand Army Corps which started its World War I campaign in Gallipoli.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 09:46:28 AM by <k> »

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2014, 11:37:54 AM »
Another unique collector coin by Australia, triangular in shape, poem wording on the reverse.
The title of the poem, apparently is "Lest we forget", a very apt title for this thread too.
The reverse shows Flanders poppies at dawn.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 09:36:09 AM by <k> »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2014, 01:46:30 PM »
Unique means one specimen only. You can trust the precious metal pusher to have foreseen more than one unique specimen. :'( Even the particularly tasteless use of the "ransom note" lettering is not unique. France did it before. Neither is the shape. Bermuda, where triangles are a tourist attraction, did it before. Hype is definitely not unique. It is as old as the biblical story of the flooding of the earth, which may have covered a sliver of Mesopotamia. ::) Ah! maybe it's a one of a kind thingy since it shows dusk!

Peter