Author Topic: WW1 Coins in 2014? (and other war commems)  (Read 33381 times)

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
Re: WW1 Coins in 2014? (and other war commems)
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2013, 03:17:20 PM »
I'm not sure about this word "commemorative". When we issue a coin for the start of the war and we say we are commemorating it, are we not just really remembering it? We're not passing judgement over whether it was a good thing or a bad thing, just that it was really important.

Clearly 1914 is one of the most important years in British History, everything changed in that year. Why not produce a coin that marks such a monumental date?

I mean we'll commemorate 1066 in 2066 quite clearly, a bad year for the English (unless you count the fact that the Normans became English).

I think we should commemorate it, in fact I expect them to.

Online <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2013, 03:22:30 PM »
I'd prefer to see a coin commemorating the end of all wars instead of the start of one.

Sadly, that will only happen after the demise of the human race, so there will be nobody around to mint it.

Online <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2013, 03:24:44 PM »
A design like that Canadian one I would have expected on a coin from the early 20th century, or before, but not these days.

Christian

I agree. It's worth another tantrum from North Korean leader, Kim Jong-un, if he ever finds out about it. (Do you have his email address?).

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2013, 04:33:08 PM »
Computers don't work in North Korea, especially when there is a blackout. You can reach him by snail mail at:

Mr. Kim Jong Un
Chairman, Communist Party of Chosun
Kumsoosan, Miam-dong, Daesung
Pyongyang
Democratic People's Republic of Korea

Hint: he likes big stamps.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

paisepagal

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2013, 04:41:02 PM »
I quite like the motif of the Canadian coin....is there an explanation that goes with it ?

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW ∑ DE ∑ EU
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2013, 04:48:10 PM »
Of course there is, but it does not make the design any better. >:D

The piece features "an adaptation of the reverse of the original Korea Medal awarded to all Commonwealth forces who served in the war. In adapting the Korea Medal design for this coin, Royal Canadian Mint engravers faithfully preserved Edward Carter Prestonís original depiction of Hercules, the idealized warrior from Greek mythology, slaying the indomitable hydra-headed monster as an allegory for the perilous struggles of war, and a tribute to those who freely go to battle."

Christian

paisepagal

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2013, 05:41:33 PM »
Of course there is, but it does not make the design any better. >:D

The piece features "an adaptation of the reverse of the original Korea Medal awarded to all Commonwealth forces who served in the war. In adapting the Korea Medal design for this coin, Royal Canadian Mint engravers faithfully preserved Edward Carter Prestonís original depiction of Hercules, the idealized warrior from Greek mythology, slaying the indomitable hydra-headed monster as an allegory for the perilous struggles of war, and a tribute to those who freely go to battle."

Christian

Differing eyes differing tastes.... I've had to disparage some of my friends on other coins too   :P?.. Und danke schŲn!

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2013, 02:25:00 PM »
Since this topic has become a topic of debate as to whether wars should be comemmorated or not, here is a medal being issued by Royal Dutch Mint on 31st August, to celebrate 200th Ann. of Victory in Waterloo.
It is not a coin since there is no denomination on it but then who follows the face value of Silver coins. They may be legal tender at face value or called NCLT, they are medal or medallions, as long as they are sold at high price ( higher then bullion value).
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 09:41:19 AM by <k> »

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2013, 05:54:29 PM »
EINDE VAN DE FRANSE BEZETTING = end of the French occupation. Legally incorrect, but who cares. It's about flogging metal.

The occupation ended on 20th november 1813 by proclamation of "the triumvirate". The battle of Waterloo was on 18th June 1815. As Dutch/Belgian troops participated on the allied side, it should be obvious that equating the end of the occupation with the battle of Waterloo is dead wrong.

Furthermore, I'd argue that commemorating the battle would be in bad taste. Dutch troops did not exactly distinguish themselves (they did at Quatre Bras, though.) Francophone troops deserted in droves, the population of the area was rooting for Napoleon and crown prince William was such a bad military commander that Wellington manoeuvred him out of his command. Bad taste has never stopped marketing guys before, though. ::)

Peter
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 06:05:41 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2013, 10:54:18 PM »
Ukraine comemms 70th ann of victory in Kharkow

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2013, 02:03:14 PM »
Ukraine has issued another coin to commem victory in 1943

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW ∑ DE ∑ EU
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2013, 05:08:38 PM »
Since this topic has become a topic of debate as to whether wars should be comemmorated or not,

... I modified the topic title. ;)

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW ∑ DE ∑ EU
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2013, 11:04:25 AM »
From Canada we can expect a plethora of war coins in the near future:

"As 2014 marks the centennial of the First World War and the 75th anniversary of the Second World War, the Royal Canadian Mint is developing an all-encompassing coin program to commemorate both historical events. With so many stories and events touching Canadians on so many levels, the program will span 2014 to 2020, including both circulation and collector coins."

Christian

Offline Ukrainii Pyat

• Collector of everything numismatic
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2013, 12:46:45 PM »
Royal Canadian Mint issues too many commemoratives.  I think they may get to 100 different coins with WWI commemorations.
Донецк Украина Donets'k Ukraine

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2013, 01:29:34 AM »
Another Coin by Ukraine.
On 16th October, Ukraine commemed 70th Anniv of Liberation of Melitopol