Author Topic: Coin supplies in Germany  (Read 752 times)

Offline goossen

• My coins
Coin supplies in Germany
« on: July 29, 2018, 05:36:25 PM »
I'm looking for suggestions where to buy coin supplies in Germany.

Specifically I'm in need of:
  • 3-ring binders, which seem to be impossible to find outside the US! :o
  • Coin pages (20 pockets)
  • 2" x 2" cardboard holders

Online shopping is OK, even preferred :)

What I've tried so far:
Amazon US: plenty of products, but shipping + import taxes are a killer.
Amazon DE: no 3 ring binders. Other products are a bit pricey and I'm not sure about the quality (no reviews). Or maybe I don't know how to search?
Amazon other countries (IT, UK, ES): not many options, shipping rates way to high. Same problem as Amazon DE, no reviews.
eBay: very little selection, not sure about the quality.

If 3-ring binders prove to be too difficult to find I'm happy to switch to 4-ring binders, but I'll have to change all my current (100+) pages.

Thanks a lot!

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: Coin supplies in Germany
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 07:25:26 PM »
Yes, 3-ring binders for anything will be difficult to find here. Four rings rule. ;) But of course you could ask Leuchtturm or Safe for example whether they have/make any.

Did a brief search and found this on Amazon. Apparently about €18 plus about €9 shipping from the UK. But don't ask me how those are ...

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 10:14:23 PM »
Three ring binders take "US letter" format while four ring binders take A4 standard pages. Both have place for 20 coins. Even if you can find three ring binders, you will have similar trouble finding US format album pages outside the US. If you don't plan to move to the US any time soon, you are better off switching to A4. No need to switch all albums. With a bit of shifting and shuffling you can use both. Change the fastest growing albums to A4 and keep the slow growers in US letter and you'll be fine.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Globetrotter

• Honorary Member
  • As my whimsy takes me....
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 09:02:43 PM »
Hi,

just for your information the Leuchtturm (Lighthouse) pages fit into both 4 AND 3 ring binders. So buy 4 ring binders while in Europe and then go on with them when back in the US, it's all the same, if you then still have empty pages, they'll go into the US binders!

Oractical isn't it?

Ole
Ole

If you're interested in coin variants please find some English documentation here:
https://sites.google.com/site/coinvarietiescollection/home
and in French on Michel's site (the presentations are not the same):
http://monnaiesetvarietes.esy.es/

Offline goossen

• My coins
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 04:22:25 PM »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
I guess I’ll go with the 4-ring binders; makes more sense.