Author Topic: Coins of 100 Nations  (Read 1505 times)

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
Re: Coins of 100 Nations
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2013, 01:23:33 PM »
Just got my set of 100 coins.

I must say, the coins are in great condition, and most of them UNC.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2015, 04:57:54 AM »
Collecting one coin from 100 countries is no big deal these days ... ready made packages in nice flips with stickers and flags of countries ... I think the key challenge is to get one from every country or issuing authority in past or present ... plus if one can do in a fixed denomination like 1 [paise/cent/pence/etc] or restrict it to few denominations then it would be a wonderful collection and quite interesting to build
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Coins of 100 Nations
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2015, 05:10:30 AM »
Collecting one coin from 100 countries is no big deal these days ... ready made packages in nice flips with stickers and flags of countries ... I think the key challenge is to get one from every country or issuing authority in past or present ... plus if one can do in a fixed denomination like 1 [paise/cent/pence/etc] or restrict it to few denominations then it would be a wonderful collection and quite interesting to build
Yeah that's true but you gotta be very careful; especially when buying from an Indian dealer. Couple of years back, a dealer offered 2kg of unsorted coins to a newbie for whooping INR 40k. :o Fortunately, he didn't have that much money but he was interested in the lot. Not to mention almost all the coins in the lot were common to very common.

When I visit coin fairs, I usually look for Iranian coins in trash trays, Indian dealers seem to have lots of them. :) Since they are completely unaware of foreign coins (most of the dealers can't even differentiate between Iranian and Iraqi coins ;D), they just sell them for any price they get. ;)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2015, 02:24:14 AM »
A few decades ago, I was invited to participate in a festive exhibition in Amsterdam with all current circulation coins (no commemoratives) of the world. I found I had quite a few of them already. In about six weeks time, I was able to buy what I needed, except for Mauritania and Equatorial Guinea. The exhibition organisers decided to pretend these two countries didn't exist and nobody noticed. With the motivation of the exhibition gone, it took me years to get those two countries at last.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2015, 03:18:36 AM »
A few decades ago, I was invited to participate in a festive exhibition in Amsterdam with all current circulation coins (no commemoratives) of the world.
There were far fewer countries issuing coins a few decades ago.
The real challenge is in keep on updating coins.
Some countries change design when head changes.
In last two years, countries like Netherlands, Belgium, Vatican, Spain etc. have changed their circulation coins, on this account.
Many countries which face moderate inflation, have changed over to plated coins.
Ukraine, Kuwait, UAE, Guatemala, Kazakhstan etc. are few in this category.
In countries with high inflation, the coins with lower denominations meet their demise and newer denominations get coinised as coin note boundary shifts up. Angola, Bulgaria, Tanzania etc. are in this category.

Indeed a very interesting work which keeps you on your toes.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 03:34:38 AM by Pabitra »

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2015, 03:39:54 AM »

Indian dealers seem to have lots of them. :) Since they are completely unaware of foreign coins (most of the dealers can't even differentiate between Iranian and Iraqi coins ;D),

It works both ways.
If the dealer does not differentiate between Japan and Korea or between countries using Arabic/ Persian then one could get coins at low cost. I did pick a coin at below its face value several times.

Offline bububoy

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2015, 07:55:39 AM »
A very interesting read indeed !

A few decades ago, I was invited to participate in a festive exhibition in Amsterdam with all current circulation coins (no commemoratives) of the world. I found I had quite a few of them already. In about six weeks time, I was able to buy what I needed, except for Mauritania and Equatorial Guinea. The exhibition organisers decided to pretend these two countries didn't exist and nobody noticed. With the motivation of the exhibition gone, it took me years to get those two countries at last.

Peter

On a lighter note i wonder if the country collectors have been able to add coins of South Sudan to their collection !

mahe

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2015, 09:09:18 AM »
There were far fewer countries issuing coins a few decades ago.

Not really. The former Soviet Union and Yugoslavia fell apart, but the rest (e.g. Slovakia) was countervailed by countries disappearing (e.g. GDR). Issues such as Mongolia and Albania have become vastly easier.

There were not as many bogus issues, though.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2015, 11:38:58 AM »
My memory takes me four decades back when there were nearly 100 Members of UNO.
They have been increasing every year and now they are 209, i think.
They never down in number.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2015, 11:46:57 AM »
On a lighter note i wonder if the country collectors have been able to add coins of South Sudan to their collection !

South Sudan never issued circulation coins, even after announcing them.
Now they have officially given up plans to issue coins.
They have applied for membership of East African Monetary Union, which has plans to decide issue of common currency by end of this year.

Offline Naveen

• My Blog
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2015, 12:01:43 PM »
Abhay shared the list to me sometimes back, this will be useful for world coin collection, as per this list I think I have some 200+ now.

Online gerard974

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2015, 01:00:03 PM »
hello
in your list i have 295 country, more 65 to find ,a big job
Gerard

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2015, 06:23:26 PM »
My memory takes me four decades back when there were nearly 100 Members of UNO.
They have been increasing every year and now they are 209, i think.
They never down in number.

Pah! Memory. Who needs memory when computers already have it. ;) See how the UN evolved here. The exhibition was in 1975, when the UN had 144 members. Most of the new members since are the bits and pieces of the Soviet empire, what used to be Yugoslavia and some Pacific micro states, many not issuing any serious circulation coins.

Peter

Offline idiotghost

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2018, 09:13:09 PM »
Bumping up a 8 year old thread which was started on my goal of collecting 100 odd countries. I understand defining a "country" is a contentious definition with multiple interpretations. I FINALLY was able to finish my 100 country goal last week. In last 8 years I had lost track of this wonderful forum, once I got into MBA & then ran from one job to another in the rat race! Finally few months back I started checking this forum once again on a weekly basis, only to realize what a goldmine of knowledge & possibly coins I have lost in last 8 years! I wish I was more active on this forum, would have realized my 100 country goal much earlier through the members :)

Special Thanks to Peter as recently he sent me 19 odd countries which I did not have. Juan Trillo was another person from Spain who had sent few countries in 2010 to me. Abhay, Harsh & Aditya had sent me local Indian coins in 2010.

Now next target is 150 to reach, things get difficult from here on :)

Thanks to everyone again.

Offline idiotghost

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2018, 09:19:57 PM »
Here is the list of countries/former countries/dependent territories/island nations that I have. Anything not mentioned below is a country/territory/island I dont have & if someone has a spare coin to swap, most gladly would love to race to my goal of 150 countries. :)

Countries:
1.   Afghanistan
2.   Albania
3.   Algeria
4.   Argentina
5.   Australia
6.   Austria
7.   Bahrain
8.   Bangladesh
9.   Belgium
10.   Bermuda
11.   Bhutan