Author Topic: The last silver coin for circulation  (Read 3924 times)

Offline ciscoins

• Coins of CIS and Baltic countries
The last silver coin for circulation
« on: June 10, 2013, 05:41:49 PM »
As I know, there isn't any silver coin in real circulation of any present country. The Bank of Latvia says that 10 lat 1993 is a circulation coin; and there were several occasions (in 1997-98 or so) when Latvian people were given their salary with these coins. But the people didn't want to pay for anything with them, they left all of them for collections. And the mintage was not so big. So it wasn't real circulation.

So what was the last silver coin in all the world that was made for circulation and really circulated? And when did that circulation completely stop?
Ivan
Moscow, Russia

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: The last silver coin for circulation
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 06:00:50 PM »
I remember that the Mexicans supposedly issued coins with some silver content for circulation in the early 1990s. This was when silver came down to around 5 dollars an ounce, I think. Since the rise of China, many commodities, including silver, are now much pricier. Even copper-nickel is now being replaced by nickel-plated steel in the UK.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Offline ciscoins

• Coins of CIS and Baltic countries
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 06:40:11 PM »
Yes, the center of Mexican 10 pesos 1992-95 was made of silver. Good example. So, the last year was 1995.
But maybe there was a totally silver coin?
Ivan
Moscow, Russia

Offline Ukrainii Pyat

• Collector of everything numismatic
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 07:39:10 PM »
Until the adoption of Euro in 2002 it was possible to use commemorative silver coins, ie German 10 DM and French 100 FF coins in shops.  When silver value was real low I can remember spending some of the 10 DM coins in Munich.  I can remember in Paris buying those 1970s era 50 Francs coins that were large silver crown for something like 35 FF because those old coins had been demonetised and silver value was then low.
Донецк Украина Donets'k Ukraine

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 08:18:57 PM »
Well, those coins (at least the German ones) were not made for circulation; it's just that you could get them at face. And that did not end in 1999 when the euro came, nor in 2002 when the euro cash came, but was continued until early 2011. Some places may have accepted them, but you would hardly get them in change. The last silver circulation coins in DE were around until 1975.

Similarly, in France you can still get various silver and gold coins at face. Does not mean people actually spend them. ;)

Christian

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 09:54:16 PM »
I received a Hungarian 200 forint - the silver version from the 1990s - in change in Budapest in 1997.

You occasionally found silver shillings and florins in circulation in the UK until the early 1990s when they were demonetised. I imagine it is still theoretically possible to find them in circulation in Australia. Likewise with silver dimes and quarters in the US.

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 09:56:26 PM »
I received a Hungarian 200 forint - the silver version from the 1990s - in change in Budapest in 1997.

The 1993/1994 issue were for circulation,  not exactly sure why. Those and the Mexican coins are the only modern silver circs since the mid 70's I've ever read about.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 10:48:16 PM »
You occasionally found silver shillings and florins in circulation in the UK until the early 1990s when they were demonetised.

It was very rare, though, by the 1990s. Having said that, I did get a 1929 shilling in change, the week before the shilling was finally demonetised. However, most pre-1947 sixpences, shillings, florins and half crowns had been diligently removed at some point from the 1970s onwards, I presume by the banks or the cash centres, because of their silver content In the 1960s, when there were still only pre-decimal coins in the UK (apart from the relatively few decimal ones released in 1968/9), silver coins back to Edward VII still circulated. By 1979, by and large only copper-nickel pre-decimal coins, of 1947 onwards, could be found in circulation (sixpences, shillings and florins).
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Offline Ukrainii Pyat

• Collector of everything numismatic
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 12:00:39 AM »

You occasionally found silver shillings and florins in circulation in the UK until the early 1990s when they were demonetised. I imagine it is still theoretically possible to find them in circulation in Australia. Likewise with silver dimes and quarters in the US.

It is most likely to find a silver half dollar in change in the USA - the 40% variety minted from 1965-1969 for circulation.  Quarters are very rarely found, but dimes there might be one silver dime per about 2000-2500 in circulation.  I think in Australia that silver coins would be less common because of the design changes - whereas in the USA the coins pretty much look the same.  Most confusing is Canada where in 1966-8 the RCM minted .800 fine coins, then .500 fine, and then pure nickel later in 1968.
Донецк Украина Donets'k Ukraine

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
The last silver coin for circulation
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 05:45:06 PM »
One of our Dutch member received quite a few Austrian silver €5 collector coins (800/1000 silver, 10g) when he was vacationing in Austria. This is quite story though, perhaps sometime around 2005-2006..

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.