Author Topic: Fire proof safes for coin collection  (Read 3777 times)

Offline Mackie

• Mumbai, India
  • Meritorious Member
Re: Fire proof safes for coin collection
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 08:27:24 AM »
I always thought theft would be problem for dealers and other and not for us ... knowing that a member had theft makes me worry now ... lucky you got your stuff back ..

A very scary thought indeed - this makes it all the more important to keep our identities secret while we are on this forum. Members must refrain from sharing personal details & info. on forum and also its important that members shouldn't leak out personal details of other fellow collectors. May be I am just thinking aloud but I request views of seniors members on this. Cheers!

Warm Regards,
Mackie

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 08:42:04 AM »
This incident was thirty years ago so it does not happen every day! I have had one attempted burglary since, that too was many years ago, the thief cut his leg badly when he kicked in a pane of glass and took himself to hospital - so the police easily caught up with this idiot.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline repindia

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2012, 02:27:36 AM »
Why not a locker in the bank?  I have a safe deposit box in a nearby bank.  It is easy to visit, take coins in and out.  Bank vaults are cheaper than a personal safe, and a lot more secure.  Having a safe in the house may be an invitation for thieves.  Also your safe needs to be heavy and secured to the wall to prevent someone from carrying away the safe.

I also maintain a list of all my coins and also photographs/website, so I can appreciate what I have.

I agree with you entirely and have done the same thing. A thief can always carry away the safe too and then try to unlock it at his leisure. The only problem would be a trip to the bank vault to visit your coins and also can't take measurements in the bank!