Next new euro notes to come in 2014

Started by chrisild, June 03, 2013, 02:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisild

What I find a little peculiar is the copyright notice. On one hand, it says "2014" at the end; makes sense. But on the other hand, the list of European Central Bank abbreviations has not been updated. (The Croatian "ESB" is missing.) In my opinion, the notes should either have the 2013 date for all denominations, or list all current language versions.

By the way, Yves Mersch (ECB), who unveiled the new €10 note today, will also open the euro exhibition in Saarbrücken on Wednesday. So from 15 January until 31 March people can actually see the new note, a few months before it is issued on 23 September ...

Christian

chrisild

Got a reply from the ECB; they say that designing and developing a new banknote take some time. So new member states (or rather the abbreviation of the bank in the local language) cannot be added that quickly. Hmm, did Croatia's membership really come as a surprise? ;)

As for the exhibition in Saarbrücken, it was opened by Yves Mersch (European Central Bank), Carl-Ludwig Thiele (Deutsche Bundesbank) and Anne Le Lorier (Banque de France). Until the end of March you can see the "usual" exhibits, and also the new €10 note. Admission is free.

Das neue Gesicht des Euro (The New Face of the Euro)
Deutsche Bundesbank, Saarbrücken Branch Office (Hafenstraße 20-22, 66111 Saarbrücken)
Opening Hours: Mon-Fri 8.15-18.00 h (Latest admission 17 h),
also open on these Saturdays: 18 Jan / 15 Feb / 15 Mar (10.00-18.00 h)

Christian

chrisild

Let me point at two details that in my opinion are interesting differences between the "old" and the "new" €10 note. (Both can also be found on the already introduced €5 note, but they are a little less obvious there.) First, the bridge view on the reverse will no longer be almost frontal but at an angle that is similar to that on the fiver.

The other change affects the obverse: The current €10 note shows a Romanesque arch and, further left, stylized arches. The new ones will feature roughly the same arch, but then - roughly in the central field - something that looks like a Romanesque church. Well, parts of the exterior ...

Sorry, the images are a little blurry. Tried to blow them up, but I am not sure whether that helps much. (Edit: Attached a third one which may "work" better.)

Christian

chrisild

Here are two images that I took in Saarbrücken. Unfortunately the notes are behind safety glass, and I did not exactly have professional equipment (camera, light) with me, so this is what you get. ;)

Christian

chrisild

A taxi driver in Hamburg already has two of these new €10 notes. ;)  Turned out that about 700 of them had been stolen last month: A Hamburg company that produces banknote authentication sensors had received such "samples" as a secured loan from the Bundesbank, for testing purposes, so that the machines work OK when the notes are issued in about four months.

On the last weekend in April, somebody already wanted to pay with such "new" notes at a gas station. The cashier thought the notes were counterfeit, called the police, and the men were arrested. About 90 notes were found.

In this latest case the taxi driver even joked about the color ("the red in your photocopies is too intense") but accepted the notes when the passenger explained that these were new, like the new fiver last year. The next day our driver goes to his bank and is told that yes, these notes are authentic, except they are not legal tender yet.

The article (in German) does not say whether the driver will keep the money - after all, the "source" was a theft. Here is a larger image of what he got ...

Christian

chrisild

The new €10 designs have been criticized by some - the arch is not Romanesque. :)  In the first series (designer: Robert Kalina) the size of the semicircular arch above the entrance is limited by the columns on the left and right. Pretty normal for Romanesque architecture. However, Kalina added several abstract semicircles.

Now Reinhold Gerstetter updated the designs for the second series. He did a nice job with the fiver. His additions to the new tenner are also good, e.g. the "shadow" of a Romanesque church in the center. But he also replaced those abstract lines by realistic looking bricks arranged in semicircles. The result is a giant structure which is unknown (at least extremely uncommon) in Romanesque architecture.

So far I have simply considered the extra arch lines to be a separate element. But I must admit that with the real notes such a distinction will be hard to make. Don't know if anybody else reads these posts, but in case you have a new €10 note in your hands later this month, don't say you haven't been warned. ;)

Christian

chrisild

Two more images, with squares and circles. :)  They hopefully show the difference a little better.

Christian

izotz

Quote from: chrisild on September 02, 2014, 08:53:48 PM
Don't know if anybody else reads these posts, but in case you have a new €10 note in your hands later this month, don't say you haven't been warned. ;)
I do  ;D

I can't wait for this to happen. Not that I am a banknote collector, but some of my fellow friends are asking me all the time to go to the bank and grab a bunch of them for their collection. You know, those who would try to get one of each value, country, signature, printer, etc...

I guess it is not that far.

chrisild

Ah, thank you for that feedback. Well, a series of posts by the same member, without any recent replies, could mean that nobody else cares. But of course I have read quite a few posts myself, here and elsewhere, that I find interesting and yet do not comment. ;D  Three more weeks until the new "tenners" come ...

Christian

Pabitra

Quote from: chrisild on September 03, 2014, 06:33:35 PM
Well, a series of posts by the same member, without any recent replies, could mean that nobody else cares.

Well. Not many note lovers in coins forums. Obviously, not much response.
It must be getting read but not commented back.

Prosit

I read it and I collect some banknote. However I have nothing to contribute and it isn't likely i will get one.
I like to see what is going on though so it is a good thread.

Dale

chrisild

Ah, we need "Like" and "Meh" buttons. :)

Christian

coxyc

Hi everybody

Very interesting yours topics

The new €10 is confirmed with prefix E, N, P, S, U, V, X and Y, all with signature of Mario Draghi

Yves
(a french banknotes collector)
http://courtemanche.yves.free.fr/courtemanche/index.htm

chrisild

Welcome to the World of Coins, Yves! My very first "new €10 note" I put aside and kept - guess that, once they can be found all over the place, I will spend it. But for the time being, it has a safe place. :)  It is an "E" note, thus printed by Oberthur.

And now we also know why those additional semicircles are needed, hehe: They contain six (!) lines of microtext - "10 EURO" in all three alphabets ...

Christian

izotz

Quote from: coxyc on September 30, 2014, 11:15:47 PM
Hi everybody

Very interesting yours topics

The new €10 is confirmed with prefix E, N, P, S, U, V, X and Y, all with signature of Mario Draghi

Yves
(a french banknotes collector)
http://courtemanche.yves.free.fr/courtemanche/index.htm

Hi Yves.

Welcome to this forum.

Not that I know much about this, but wouldn't you add letter "T" to your list?