Author Topic: Which is the most Unique, Topic Starter coin in your collection??  (Read 5065 times)

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
We all are here to collect coins, and to share them with each other.

Which is the most unique coin in your collection - so unique that a new topic can be started on that coin?

This coin could be a very Rare Coin, an Error Coin, some Forged Coin, or for that matter any coin which is worth showing to the whole world for its uniqueness.

As far as my collection goes, I would consider this Heavy Weight Silver rupee to be such coin in my collection.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Re: Which is the most Unique, Topic Starter coin in your collection??
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 05:02:11 PM »
Hard to answer your question. ;) I think I'll go for the Hyderabadi silver anna coin my mom received in change for a 25 paise coin... :)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 05:25:21 PM »
Very Rare Coin - Not sure may be some Mughal or IPS coin need to look into.

an Error Coin, - BI K Ed VII 1/2 pice 1903 1909,  ghost image coin. (I remember bought 20 years ago for Rs.10 or so) without realizing it as an error coin.
 some Forged Coin - many need to sort out for uniqueness.

Cheers ;D
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 05:16:29 AM by aan09 »
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 07:06:48 PM »
Do I have such a coin in my collection :( ... nope all my coins are normal coins ... but them I can tell story for every one of the coin if someone is listening :)
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline Md. Shariful Islam

• Honorary Member
  • Tonk>Tanka>Taka
    • Coins of Medieval Bengal
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 10:25:19 PM »
I have no doubt on it... Coin that I discovered and with help of Tariq Bhai could read the name and found that I have discovered a coin of a sultan of Bengal who have been unearthed by this coin. Only known piece still though.

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 05:20:02 AM »
Very Rare Coin - Not sure may be some Mughal or IPS coin need to look into.

an Error Coin, - BI K Ed VII 1/2 pice 1903 1909,  ghost image coin. (I remember bought 20 years ago for Rs.10 or so) without realizing it as an error coin.
 some Forged Coin - many need to sort out for uniqueness.

Cheers ;D

Another unique combination of coin which I have is 1/4 Anna of KED VII - 1906

IN year 1906 coins were minted in 3 metals - copper & bronze for currency . Nickel for proof.

1906 -Calcutta-No MM-Copper Currency-47,228,800

1906-Bronze Currency-115,785,600

Cheers ;D

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 04:19:21 PM »
I have no doubt on it... Coin that I discovered and with help of Tariq Bhai could read the name and found that I have discovered a coin of a sultan of Bengal who have been unearthed by this coin. Only known piece still though.

Congratulations, Islam daa. Another proof that Coins can sometimes help to confirm the events of History.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline ciscoins

• Coins of CIS and Baltic countries
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 03:46:06 PM »
Regular 100 tenge 2005 of Kazakhstan. Surely, that is the one. Maybe it's not rare, it's not very expensive, it's not made of gold, etc. But...

When I started my collection of the coins of ex-USSR, the regular 100 tenge 2005 didn't exist at any coin catalog. It never appeared at coin dealers, it had never been sold through eBay.com or Molotok.ru. You know why? Because nobody cared. Not so many people were collecting coins of Kazakhstan; and those who did, collected them by types and didn't look at the years of issue. The same did the coin dealers: they had 100 tenge of one or two years of issue and thought that it's more than enough for a coin-type-collector. And the National Bank of Kazakhstan doesn't even think that someone can collect the regular coins by years, so it has never published neither the mintages, nor even the list of issued coins.

Only after I had made my website, maybe in 2008, some visitor - just by the way, not even thinking that it may be some important information for me - told me that he had seen a regular 100 tenge 2005. I started searching for this coin and couldn't find it anywhere. In the internet, in all known catalogs - it wasn't there. Because nobody cared. Later I went to Ukraine, to the Kiev coin fair, and there ocasionally found 100 tenge 2005 in some bag, among dirty circulation coins of different countries. It was not in an excelent condition, but I was happy.

Ivan
Moscow, Russia

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 04:06:59 PM »
Dear Ivan,

A unique coin does not have to be expensive. The fact that an ordinary 100 Tenge 2005 coin is rare, makes it unique in its own way.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 05:32:33 PM »
Regular 100 tenge 2005 of Kazakhstan. Surely, that is the one. Maybe it's not rare, it's not very expensive, it's not made of gold, etc. But...

When I started my collection of the coins of ex-USSR, the regular 100 tenge 2005 didn't exist at any coin catalog. It never appeared at coin dealers, it had never been sold through eBay.com or Molotok.ru. You know why? Because nobody cared. Not so many people were collecting coins of Kazakhstan; and those who did, collected them by types and didn't look at the years of issue. The same did the coin dealers: they had 100 tenge of one or two years of issue and thought that it's more than enough for a coin-type-collector. And the National Bank of Kazakhstan doesn't even think that someone can collect the regular coins by years, so it has never published neither the mintages, nor even the list of issued coins.

Only after I had made my website, maybe in 2008, some visitor - just by the way, not even thinking that it may be some important information for me - told me that he had seen a regular 100 tenge 2005. I started searching for this coin and couldn't find it anywhere. In the internet, in all known catalogs - it wasn't there. Because nobody cared. Later I went to Ukraine, to the Kiev coin fair, and there ocasionally found 100 tenge 2005 in some bag, among dirty circulation coins of different countries. It was not in an excelent condition, but I was happy.

TFS now I keep an eye for this 100 Tenge , I was not aware until you post about this particular year.

Cheers ;D

Offline Levantiner

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 10:09:43 PM »
This one:  It was only hypothesized to exist until last year ( I out bid Walter Hafner to obtain it: he told me he was the second highest bidder ).

The key to identifying this unique ( it is unique) coin is the reverse.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 06:16:28 PM »
The symbols, shapes and letters on the outer ring of the reverse (denomination side) look interesting. Anybody know what their significance or meaning is?

Offline Levantiner

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 08:44:50 PM »
The symbols, shapes and letters on the outer ring of the reverse (denomination side) look interesting. Anybody know what their significance or meaning is?

If your referring to the MTT  pictures I posted I was a little obtuse. the reason the coin is unique is because despite the many assertions on ebay and the like,  this coin and two others like it are the only known non-restrike MTT( ie True 1780 strike) from Guenzburg known to exist. A cautionary note there is probably about a 2-3% margin of doubt. but this  coin and the other two are the only ones to surface that match the key features expected on a true 1780 Burgau MTT

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 01:23:16 AM »
Now here I have a been a little obtuse. I followed the link in another topic, directly to the Kazakhstan coin, and posted a question about it, without clocking that there are several other coins in the thread.  :-[
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:25:38 PM by <k> »

Offline Oklahoman

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 11:06:25 AM »
For me it is the die lettered crown of Isle of Man.  Only one crown has been reported in the past decades.  It was marked CB.  I have been looking for one for years.  I offhandedly referred to it in a conversation to a friend on Man.  He looked around and found one marked CA and CE! He helped me get one.  I am very glad to have it.