Author Topic: British India - Universalised Red Underprint Notes  (Read 2124 times)

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
British India - Universalised Red Underprint Notes
« on: May 10, 2013, 04:52:54 PM »

The Rupees 5 note represents the 6th and last issue of the Red underprint series in this denomination. The language panel and denomination is written in eight languages - Urdu, Kaithi, Bangla, Burmese, Telegu, Tamil, Kannada and Gujarati.  This note represents the Universalised series as the name or the initial of the issue circle is not mentioned on the note. The Rupee 5 note was first universalised in March 1903 and withdrawn from circulation on Dec 31, 1930. The paper is white, machine made, printed in England. The signatory of this note is M.M.S. Gubbay with his signature pre-printed in England. He was the Comptroller of Currency from 1916-1920. This series of notes was also signed by McWatters and Denning.

The Rupees 10 note represents the 4th and last issue of the Red underprint series in this denomination. The note is similar to the Rupees 5 note with respect to language panel and denomination except for following differences:

(A) The Denomination is written in centre in alphabet form (TEN) rather than numeral (5),

(B) The serial number is written in 3 places on the Rupee 5 note in same size font whereas the Rupees 10 note bears serial number in 4 places with differing font style and size

(C) There is only one signatory, MMS Gubbay, known for this series (Rs 10) of note, and

(D) The slight nick on the top right edge of the Rs 10 note is not a tear but a deliberate method of indexing to distinguish between the bundle of notes of various denominations as their length and width were the same.

The Rupee 10 note was first universalised in Feb 1910 and withdrawn from circulation on Dec 31, 1930.

The featured Rs 10 note also bears an 'endorsement' on the Reverse similar to a cheque or Bill of Exchange. There is a circular stamp in blue ink of "King Hamilton & Co, Calcutta", an adjacent printed stamp that reads " E.B. LD, 1.APL.1921, I.B.I.A" and a handwritten legend/signature that reads "Chaman Mall Siraj Mall, 100/10 - 1,000 - 9.1.21". King Hamilton & Company, Calcutta were bankers and agents to the East India Company.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 03:59:21 PM by mitresh »
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline Harry

• Meritorious Member
  • Collect British India, Straits coins & papermoney.
Re: British India - Universalised Red Underprint Notes
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 05:00:21 AM »
Mitresh - very interesting comparing the Rs 5 and Rs 10 red uniface notes. Thanks for sharing. I have never seen these uniface notes in EF+ or higher. They the high grades tends to be at best VF to EF. Although I am sure the exists in AU and maybe even Unc in someone's collection.

On a different note (no pun intended) if you reduce the size of your pictures so that the width does not exceed 880 pixels it should fit right on the page and then the horizontal scroll bar will not appear at the bottom.

Collector of British India, Straits Settlements, Malaya, East Africa coins and papermoney

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 08:11:24 AM »

On a different note (no pun intended) if you reduce the size of your pictures so that the width does not exceed 880 pixels it should fit right on the page and then the horizontal scroll bar will not appear at the bottom.

Here is how I see it on my screen... [compressed]
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 04:00:21 PM »
modified original post by reducing file scan size.

Offline KPC

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 09:28:48 PM »
Amazing pictures!

waiting for an opportunity to posses one of these beauties!
Collecting British India since 2007.

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 01:12:04 PM »
Good luck KPC, hope you collect these notes soon and post it at this forum.

Offline Harry

• Meritorious Member
  • Collect British India, Straits coins & papermoney.
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 06:42:07 PM »
Here is my set of the Red Uni-face Rs10 and Rs5.  One word of caution - when buying these notes many are washed and pressed so be very careful. Getting a these in EF+ or higher in its original state is very rare. Looks like my Rs10 was washed and pressed but the Rs 5 looks like the paper is in its original state.

Collector of British India, Straits Settlements, Malaya, East Africa coins and papermoney