Author Topic: New Zealand transportation tokens  (Read 4967 times)

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
New Zealand transportation tokens
« on: May 21, 2013, 05:39:17 AM »
Municipality of Dunedin incorporated 1865 / Dunedin Corporation Tramways token 1d section. Aluminium, 19.6mm.

This undated newspaper article suggests they were made between March 1901 and February 1907, this seems to me just a little too early for the use of aluminium in NZ. See  The British Aluminium Co Ltd

Also mentioned is the seal of John Swan and Co. I see the earlier coat of arms of Dunedin - [our Coat of Arms - the castle, sheaves and ram's head and the ship]

Since 1878, John Swan and Company Ltd have provided Otago and New Zealands engraving, trophies, stamps and signs. A family business spanning four generations; from their site at http://www.johnswan.co.nz/

« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 12:04:24 PM by Niels »
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Levantiner

Re: New Zealand transportation tokens
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 07:15:41 AM »
That article is enlightening as it gives an explanation why that particular token is easily found!

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 09:33:54 AM »
An eBay seller wants $48 he gives the information only 40,000 issued.  ;D Also seen priced at $49.95.  :o

Smith & Smith # 240 AA. The NZ cat. states two die varieties.

Electric trams operated on several routes from 23 October 1900 (Maori Hill) and 24 December 1903 (municipal service, to Normanby & Gardens) to 29 March 1956, and the Dunedin cable tramway system (similar to the famous San Francisco cable cars) operated between 1881 and 1957, and were replaced by trolleybuses and buses.

Also see the Dunedin city and Suburban Tramways Act 1900 Amendment.
Malcolm

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 03:22:59 PM »
The plaque puts the opening of the tramway service at 1903, so your point on 1901 being early is well taken.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 06:04:10 PM »
Obviously the tokens are unlikely to have been issued before the tramway was built, but that aside I'm not sure the first decade of the 20th century is too early for low-value aluminium coins. There were aluminium 1c and 1/10 penny coins minted in East and British West Africa respectively at a similar point.

Aluminium became commercially viable as a production metal (for anything, not just coins) as a result of the invention of the Bayer and Hall-Héroult processes in the late 1880s. These made it easier to convert ore (bauxite) to aluminium oxide and then the oxide to elemental aluminium. I would imagine that 20 years after these discoveries the process would have been sufficiently refined and economic for aluminium to be used for low-value everyday items such as tram tokens. A quick bit of digging on Wikipedia also reveals that New Zealand is no slouch on the aluminium production front, given its physical and population size. I don't know whether that applied also 100 years ago, but if so it might explain why these tokens were in aluminium when many other cities were using brass.

Offline Levantiner

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 10:31:57 PM »
Nzs Aluminum production is a relatively recent industry and it may well be that NZs Aluminium smelter may close down in the future. The company owning it wanted Gvt subsidies  not understanding NZ culture it was somewhat surprised  that NZs response was no!   For some reason I had thought the Tram ways token was post 1945....however looking at Lampard,  Sutherland and the NZ premier catalog I can find no info.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 11:39:37 PM »
The coat of of arms shown is the earlier version that was replaced in 1947, so prior to this.

Aluminium appears to have come into production commercially around 1907. Until the end of the 19th century, aluminium was still regarded as a precious metal, due to the difficulties experienced in its extraction. See my topic on aluminum advertising medallions The British Aluminium Co Ltd

The Royal Mint began striking the aluminium coins in 1907 for British West Africa, changing during 1908 to copper-nickel due to the unstable nature of the former aluminium mix in the West African climate. From David Vice, The coinage of British West Africa & St Helena.

Malcolm

Offline Kushi

• Cataloging Transport Fare Tokens of the World
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 01:19:42 PM »
Please enlighten me where are the arms of John Swan and Company.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 02:35:40 PM »
I suspect a few errors in the description, shown are the old Coat of Arms for Dunedin.

No sign of John Swan; this may have been part of the original description given to the newspaper. I've not had any luck searching for the original news item.
Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 01:01:46 PM »
A seller on New Zealand's trademe site [our friend Translate Ltd] has a original sealed pack of these tokens as issued almost 108 years ago.

From there I quote:

Dunedin Corporation Tramways - aluminium token issued only for a short period in 1906 and early 1907, according to recent research. They weren't popular because of the sharp corners (despite the "octagon" association with Dunedin!) and were withdrawn. Note that the date 1865 on the token is the date the Dunedin City Council was established, not the date of issue.

These penny tokens were originally sold in packs of 14 for a shilling, giving buyers two free tokens or a 14% discount.

Auction is for one sealed pack - wrapped for almost 108 years now! Separate token shown for reference only.
Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 10:17:44 AM »
A nice article is in Coin News, Nov.2014 pps 63-66, featuring  New Zealand's Transportation Tokens by Vaughn Humberstone.
Malcolm

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 10:27:00 AM »
I have that article now (thank you andyg!) It discusses the following issues.
  • John Russell, Auckland, 6 pence c. 1864-66. Host is ˝ penny 1858, similar to or same as A19 Ashton, Auckland. Counterstamped on reverse with outer circular legend QUEEN STREET WHARF and inner legend TOLL / 6 / PENCE. Holed or unholed.
  • William Crowther, Auckland, c. 1864. ˝ penny size. Obv: Crowther on horizontal central bar between RETURN above and BEARER below. Rev: circular outer legend PARNELL / & NEWMARKET. Inner circular legend: LINE OF / SAFETY
  • Samuel Young, Grahamstown and Auckland, type 1, c. 1871-72. 33 mm. Obv: circular legend S. YOUNG'S SAFETY / RETURN. Rev: blank
  • Samuel Young, Grahamstown and Auckland, type 2, c. 1880-89. Halfpenny size. Obv: circular legend S. YOUNG / FARE = 3d. Rev: blank
  • Alexander McMillan, Grahamstown c. 1871-72. 30.5 mm. Obv: circular legend McMILLAN's / SAFETY in central circle RETURN. Rev: blank.
  • James West, New Plymouth, c. 1907-1915. 21 mm. Obv: TATTERSALL'S / STABLES / J. W. WEST / PROPRIETOR. Rev: circular legend: NEW PLYMOUTH & FITZROY around FARES / 4d / BUS. A threepence is known with the same specifications.
  • Dunedin Corporation Tramways. as above
  • Invercargill municipal tramway pass, struck in silver, known to have existed. No known specimen today.
Except the Dunedin token, all the above are exceedingly hard to find.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2019, 10:59:34 AM »
I have # 2 on your list:

William Crowther, Auckland, c. 1864. ˝ penny size. Obv: Crowther on horizontal central bar between RETURN above and BEARER below. Rev: circular outer legend PARNELL / & NEWMARKET. Inner circular legend: LINE OF / SAFETY

copper 26.8mm
Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2019, 11:06:54 AM »
More on the Dunedin aluminium tram token.

For sale on TradeMe at present:

Sealed Dunedin City Council bag containing an estimated 100 packs of 14 tramway tokens (gauged by weight - may be one or two packs under or over). Bag and individual packs unopened and therefore unchecked. Likely to include at least some of the scarcer second type with the shorter flagpole (see NZNJ #76, Dec 2016 for more details on the type differences).

Catalogue reference G#18 - individual retail price $2, so there's a theoretical $2,800 value here. Starting price is 10% of that figure.

General details of the tokens and packs below:
Dunedin Corporation Tramways - aluminium token issued only for a short period in 1906 and early 1907, according to recent research. They weren't popular because of the sharp corners (despite the "octagon" association with Dunedin!) and were withdrawn. Note that the date 1865 on the token is the date the Dunedin City Council was established, not the date of issue.

These penny tokens were originally sold in packs of 14 for a shilling, giving buyers two free tokens or a 14% discount.

This auction is for the sealed bag illustrated*, containing +/- 100 packs or +/- 1400 tokens.

Also for sale are packs of 100 for NZ$9.99

illustrated* same image as shown above.
Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2019, 11:20:02 AM »
I do have the variety mentioned and had thought I had added it here previously. ???

With this variety the shield top points to the P and the U whereas the common variety points to the I and the N

While the reverse has the upright of the K in token directly below the upright of the R
Malcolm