Author Topic: Khwarezm dirhem of 596-617 H  (Read 6627 times)

Offline EWC

• Meritorious Member
Re: Khwarezm dirhem of 596-617 H
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2017, 02:37:37 PM »
All the coins I heard of are of the same year- 614.  Perhaps then a small initial issue of a few hundred thousand coins from few dies, but a large survival rate due to failure to retrieve hoards after the mass slaughter.

This matches the situation at Ghazni where the Mongol jital in the name of the Khan survive in big numbers from very few dies.

Arguments from soldier and civilian pay make too many assumptions for me.  I guess most lowly people on salaries probably got paid in billon jitals (with a big fiat component of value).  Also it was quite common in medieval Islam for all precious metal coin to go rapidly to hoards.  There is text on this in Safavid times in Minorsky "Tadhkirat al-Muluk".  The Egyptian Geniza texts (Goitein) show much precious coin that did circulate did so stitched into sealed bags, sometime for many decades -  those coins might never leave  their birth chums.

Basically, I fear its all bit too complicated get far with guesses

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
Re: Khwarezm dirhem of 596-617 H
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2017, 04:19:38 PM »
All the coins I heard of are of the same year- 614.  Perhaps then a small initial issue of a few hundred thousand coins from few dies, but a large survival rate due to failure to retrieve hoards after the mass slaughter.

This matches the situation at Ghazni where the Mongol jital in the name of the Khan survive in big numbers from very few dies.

Arguments from soldier and civilian pay make too many assumptions for me.  I guess most lowly people on salaries probably got paid in billon jitals (with a big fiat component of value).  Also it was quite common in medieval Islam for all precious metal coin to go rapidly to hoards.  There is text on this in Safavid times in Minorsky "Tadhkirat al-Muluk".  The Egyptian Geniza texts (Goitein) show much precious coin that did circulate did so stitched into sealed bags, sometime for many decades -  those coins might never leave  their birth chums.

Basically, I fear its all bit too complicated get far with guesses

This sounds all very sensible - one never knows. 800 years ago, the mists of the past...
-- Paul