France, 10 Centimes gaming token for slot machines, F S punch.

Started by Arminius, May 09, 2013, 02:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arminius

Any chance to find out more about this:

France, gaming token for slot machines, ca. 1902-1937 AD.,
10 Centimes Token (29 mm / 8,03 g), brass, axes medal alignment ↑↑ (0°), plain edge,
Obv.: 10 c / CONSOMMER / F S , value and legends in ornamented circles, F S punched.
Rev.: 10 C. A CONSOMMER / 10 C , value and legends in and around dotted and ornamented circles.

???

Figleaf

Not convinced it is a gaming token. It's more likely to be a waiter's token, since it is inscribed "À CONSOMMER", for consumption. The waiter's token would allow the bar owner to hire staff he didn't trust with customer's, much like cash register tickets today.

Unfortunately, I have little hope you can locate the person who put his initials on the token.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Arminius

So there are more usages for these jetons "à consommer" and the assumptions on this site are not 100% correct:

http://multicollec.net/1-mo-h/1h49

???

africancoins

I would say that all of these tokens were for machines - perhaps just given from the machine and then to be spent on the premises on which the machine was (or the machines were) situated. I have some of the French pieces though not so many of the more interesting shapes. I also have some of the British equivalent "to be spent in the house". I do not make a direct association between either of these series and served food. However maybe have been used as change from machines vending snacks or other various things - not sure.

Not many pieces have stamped letters though it does not make much difference to interest or value.

I could read some of the French page.

SOME of the tokens here http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,6077.30.html are to do with this.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

malj1

I agree that they were used to operate slot machines. As that site says the machines distribute the winners candy, cigarettes or return the consommer tokens to play again.

Your token is shown among the 10 cent items listed there but without the initials FS. These initials probably denote the owner of the arcade or establishment where the machine was located. This was usually so that other tokens could not be used when claiming a prize, I.E. the candy or cigarettes, the owners often stamped their initials on all their tokens or at other times the number of the machine was stamped on a token as a safeguard.

He also mentions 'All tokens described hereinafter have a diameter between 16 and 23 mm.' Your piece seems rather large and falls outside this range.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Arminius

Quote from: malj1 on May 10, 2013, 12:13:30 AM
Your token is shown among the 10 cent items listed there but without the initials FS. ...

Not exactly.
Piece no. 8 (starting counting at the top, indicated "Revers : 10 c à consommer") is very similar but shows a small triangle below the denomination-C (the small triangular producer's mark of Cartaux, Paris ?) plus circular ornaments (or tiny letters?).

But it seems to be from the same producer and design series.

malj1

Yes I should have said 'a very similar token'  ;D

Its a rather poor image and I imagined the edge ornament could be the same but weakly struck. I was unsure also whether the A is present and of course the size may be different too.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.