Author Topic: Coin shipping experiences  (Read 6950 times)

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Re: Coin shipping experiences
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2017, 04:53:21 AM »
I have given up on one packet which hasn't shown up in 2+ months.  :(
Unexpectedly, it arrived!  :)
Since it doesn't appear to have been opened, I wonder why the delay. Two of the packets from the same US seller sent more than a month later had arrived much earlier.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2017, 05:24:53 AM »
Happens here too with US packets, four months I waited one time before it arrived.

I think the bottom of the heap takes a while if they tip the new stuff on top. I got one packet in a week while an earlier packet from the same seller took three weeks so the later one came first.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Coin shipping experiences
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2017, 08:06:16 AM »
Unexpectedly, it arrived!  :)
Since it doesn't appear to have been opened, I wonder why the delay. Two of the packets from the same US seller sent more than a month later had arrived much earlier.

The logistical system of post is very complex one. Few years back, a friend posted a letter for me from Spain. I was continuously tracking the letter from the day it was posted. After 3-4 days of booking, it showed the status as "Insert the item into bag", meaning that the letter is about to leave the source country. After this step, it usually takes a week or less (for most of the countries) for the letter to arrive in destination country. However in my case, the status remained same for almost 40 days and the letter arrived in Mumbai after 40 days!!! During this period, I was very worried as it was quite unusual and neither me nor my friend could do anything as the letter was middle of nowhere. ;) I indeed received the letter in good condition after almost 45 days, but I had sleepless nights because of it. I still don't know why did it take 40 days to travel from Madrid Airport to Mumbai...

One of my letter posted from Germany was first sent to Indonesia and then to India (New Delhi). The guy at German sorting center perhaps mistook "Indien" as "Indonesia". ;D Another letter sent from Germany was mistakenly first forwarded to Italy and then to India. So many interesting experiences of international shipping...Isn't this hobby really cool? :)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2017, 12:02:06 PM »
Dogs? You must be kidding us?!? :o Why would you need sniffer dogs when you have all the advanced machinery available with you, doing the same job, perhaps in lesser time?

Aditya

While watching TV the other night I saw that the Chicago mail centre are also using sniffer dogs; this dog found three packets together all containing drugs.
Malcolm

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2017, 03:15:05 PM »
One of the wierdest packets I have ever received. The coins are encased in a "brick" of plaster of paris. I feel like a badass smuggler opening it.

PS: Can I use "width" or some other tag to reduce image dimensions or must I do it before posting?

« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 04:41:45 PM by Overlord »

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2017, 05:21:22 AM »
The Chicago sorting center seems to have become a Bermuda Triangle for coins. I am missing all packets that got routed through there. Only one coin managed to arrive so far, after more than 2 months. The missing packets included, among others, a lifetime-issue Drachm of Alexander the Great and a nice dennarius of Trajan depicting the Trajan's column.  :(

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2017, 04:16:28 PM »
US post ate more of my packets, including one with an Alexander Tetradrachm.   :'(

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2017, 05:04:55 PM »
US post ate more of my packets, including one with an Alexander Tetradrachm.   :'(

Sad to know that! I haven't received a single letter from US since 2011 or so, but my experience with USPS until then had been really great. Were all your lost letters sent registered? If yes, then at what stage did those letters go missing? Tracking them online can sometimes give you a clue...

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2017, 05:32:57 PM »
Sad to know that! I haven't received a single letter from US since 2011 or so, but my experience with USPS until then had been really great. Were all your lost letters sent registered? If yes, then at what stage did those letters go missing? Tracking them online can sometimes give you a clue...

Aditya
Yes, they were registered. I do not know how things were in 2011, but USPS tracking never works for me beyond the last sorting facility the letter reaches in the US. I was informed by one of the sellers that the problem was at the Chicago sorting center. Packets shipped from some states (e.g., New York) have consistently arrived within two weeks.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2017, 05:35:41 PM »
Yes, they were registered. I do not know how things were in 2011, but USPS tracking never works for me beyond the last sorting facility the letter reaches in the US. I was informed by one of the sellers that the problem was at the Chicago sorting center. Packets shipped from some states (e.g., New York) have consistently arrived within two weeks.

After the letter has left the US, you should be able to track it on India Post Website. This tracking website works perfectly most of the times. In fact, it is better than tracking facility provided by many other postal services in the world!

Aditya

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2017, 12:48:27 AM »
Delayed in customs.

It irritates me how the names are being Americanised ...why not keep it as customs after all these years  ::)
Malcolm

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2017, 04:17:09 AM »
After the letter has left the US, you should be able to track it on India Post Website. This tracking website works perfectly most of the times. In fact, it is better than tracking facility provided by many other postal services in the world!

Aditya
Perhaps things were different pre-2012, but that no longer works for US. In fact, many US sellers do not ship to India for this reason as it is no longer possible to confirm delivery. Some unscrupulous buyers were wrongly claiming (and getting) refunds on eBay saying they never got the coins.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2017, 05:27:35 PM »
Perhaps things were different pre-2012, but that no longer works for US. In fact, many US sellers do not ship to India for this reason as it is no longer possible to confirm delivery. Some unscrupulous buyers were wrongly claiming (and getting) refunds on eBay saying they never got the coins.

That's really very sad. While delays due to strict customs' laws of US are understandable, I always considered USPS to be more reliable than many other 'advanced' couriers.

Not surprised by false tricks used by some Indian collectors. Rather a shame on our collecting community to have such people, but there is nothing we can do about it. :'(

Aditya

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2017, 05:42:27 PM »
That's really very sad. While delays due to strict customs' laws of US are understandable, I always considered USPS to be more reliable than many other 'advanced' couriers.

Not surprised by false tricks used by some Indian collectors. Rather a shame on our collecting community to have such people, but there is nothing we can do about it. :'(

Aditya
I have had 0 lost packets and much better delivery times from every country except the US (with the exception of some states). I personally find eBay policy with regard to refunds unfair and do not apply for refund unless I have reasons to believe that the seller never shipped the coins. Why should sellers lose the merchandise and pay for the item when they have no control over mail? The sellers I have interacted with have almost all been nice and most have issued a refund without even asking for it. It would be a shame to have them lose faith in an entire country because of a few bad eggs.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2017, 01:38:38 PM »
A coin shipped from Hungary on 20 June has arrived today. I had forgotten about it and had to search my mailbox to confirm I had indeed purchased it.  :D