login

Author Topic: Coin shipping experiences  (Read 2291 times)

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Overlord's stamp and coin collection
Re: Coin shipping experiences
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2017, 04:59:35 PM »
I have, against my better judgment, purchased a few coins from eBay.com recently (shipping from the US, UK, and Canada, respectively). May the coin fairy watch over them.  :D

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Coin shipping experiences
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2017, 05:01:24 PM »
US/UK or even Canada shouldn't be a problem. Letters from US/Canada will take some time to arrive, though, due to strict custom laws in the respective countries. UK's postal service is quite fast...

Aditya
Caution. The low-hanging fruits are still there maybe for a reason.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2017, 04:04:01 PM »
Your observation was spot on! The UK packet arrived today, much earlier than I had expected.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2017, 04:05:56 PM »
The coin shipped from UK was stated as 3.3 g by the seller, but weighs only 3.0 g on my scale. Electronic scales tend to be fairly accurate, so I am wondering if this small difference in weight could be due to a difference in local gravity. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2017, 04:14:17 PM »
Your observation was spot on! The UK packet arrived today, much earlier than I had expected.

Hehe...I have received quite a few parcels from UK and except one or two, all arrived within a week. One of those parcel weighed over half kg and it arrived only in 3 days. That's faster that India Post's speed post delivery to Delhi from Mumbai. ;D :o

A month or so for letters coming from US is quite normal. I wouldn't be surprised even if they open the letter to see what it has (this is more common when you are sending letter to US) but nothing will be stolen (own experience!). Have never received a letter from Canada, but have heard similar stories. Long whipping times and expensive postal service is a main reason why I almost never buy from American/Canadian dealers.

Aditya

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2017, 04:43:02 PM »
Two of my US packets arrived as well (one as I was typing this post).  :)

Offline coincoin.com

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2017, 11:45:15 PM »
Between frequent rate increases and rule changes for different classes of mail, I find it a challenge to send lower value shipments from my US base to customers abroad, at reasonable cost.  One tip is to avoid sending certain types of mail through a local carrier or post office window clerk.  Using stamps and dropping it in a collection box sends it to a regional processing center where "rules" that cost you money seem to be overlooked.  To be avoided are a customs declaration, an assignment as "first class package mail" or "rigid or uneven thickness" criteria which drastically increase cost.  It works for me with thin coins, but with crown-sized, you may be taking a chance.    The trick is to tape the (enveloped) coins in thin cardboard to look like a greeting card (and get letter vs. package rate) or in plastic pages inside a magazine to go at the "flats" rate rather than that package rate.  You do not get tracking, so trust your recipient.  I would not send older cast "cash", zinc coins, or other fragile things this way, because they go through that machinery mentioned earlier, and that is their stated reason for charging so much more on the classes that supposedly get hand-processed.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2017, 06:05:52 AM »
The experience so far:

UK and Cyprus: By far, the best. All packets have arrived within 10 days of shipping. No custom duty.
Croatia: All packets have arrived within 15 days of shipping. No custom duty.
France: All packets have arrived within 15-20 days of shipping. No custom duty.
Russia: All packets have arrived within 20-30 days of shipping. Shipping was free, so I am not complaining. Nice stamps too. No custom duty.

Canada: Two packets. One arrived in 20 days, while the second took nearly two months. No custom duty.
US: The worse of the lot. Apart from one Californian seller whose packets consistently arrive within 10-15 days, they take 1+ month. Sometimes, packets sent by the same seller at a later date arrive earlier than the ones posted 2 weeks earlier. I have given up on one packet which hasn't shown up in 2+ months.  :(

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2017, 10:18:09 AM »
My experience has been good apart from one lot from the USA,  I purchased a big pile of unidentified Indian coppers rather cheaply, unfortunately the seller had to split it into two separate lots to post because of the weight.  After 3 weeks I got a card through the door to collect items from my local RM sorting office because there was a fee to pay.

I was dumbfounded when one packet had 26.58 to pay and the other 11.40.   non of this was duty!  it was VAT and  Royal mail handling charges of 8 per packet
Needless to say my enjoyment of getting a bargain lot of coins was short lived  :'(
Vic

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2017, 01:58:00 PM »
Here in Australia everything from overseas goes through customs where I believe the packets are checked by dogs.  :rules:

This one was opened and resealed but unfortunately they sealed the wrong end!  ::)  however by good luck the contents were still intact.   :o
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2017, 04:03:22 PM »
My experience has been good apart from one lot from the USA,  I purchased a big pile of unidentified Indian coppers rather cheaply, unfortunately the seller had to split it into two separate lots to post because of the weight.  After 3 weeks I got a card through the door to collect items from my local RM sorting office because there was a fee to pay.

I was dumbfounded when one packet had 26.58 to pay and the other 11.40.   non of this was duty!  it was VAT and  Royal mail handling charges of 8 per packet
Needless to say my enjoyment of getting a bargain lot of coins was short lived  :'(

Whenever Indian custom's department charges custom duty on any of the letters, India Post charges ₹30 in addition to custom duty as handling charges. This is fixed amount, irrespective of custom duty charged.

Aditya

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2017, 04:09:12 PM »
Here in Australia everything from overseas goes through customs where I believe the packets are checked by dogs.  :rules:

Dogs? You must be kidding us?!? :o Why would you need sniffer dogs when you have all the advanced machinery available with you, doing the same job, perhaps in lesser time?

This one was opened and resealed but unfortunately they sealed the wrong end!  ::)  however by good luck the contents were still intact.   :o

Whenever Indian custom's department opens any package for inspection, they seal it so tightly after inspection that it becomes headache to open it when you receive it. Not to forget some uncomfortable questions from the postman at times like 'What's inside it?'! ::)

Aditya

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2017, 12:52:17 AM »
Australian border force is on TV every Saturday night and at times you see the dog running along the conveyor belt sniffing all the packets there  ::)
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2017, 05:01:03 AM »
Down here, if they open it they also do a FREE quality check.
A few months back, I had ordered Dharwad pedhas. The (re-)sealed packet arrived with more than half the pedhas eaten.  ;D

Offline Saikat

• Indexer
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2017, 04:15:55 PM »
They also substitute. One of my coin package got replaced by a set of pickle sachets  >:D
Not funny as I was looking for that coin for quite some time.
Saikat