Author Topic: Cardboard 2x2 holders in colors  (Read 1733 times)

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
Cardboard 2x2 holders in colors
« on: May 02, 2013, 12:51:53 AM »
I think this post will date me back to some time in the Renaissance.

Does anyone out there remember 2x2 holders in colors? I am going through and reholdering more coins that I have had since I was a kid. Back then I put them in 2x2 colored holders but didn't use them to color code. I remember blue too.

Alan

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
Re: Cardboard 2x2 holders in colors
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 04:45:34 AM »
interesting ... when were the first flips/folders for coins available? Around 1950's or even earlier than that?
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline Mackie

• Mumbai, India
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 06:08:12 AM »
I had received a message from a dealer in Mumbai who manufactures coin holders. Though I cant find his contact details now, I still remember he had coin holders in various colours like black, orange, blue. :)
Warm Regards,
Mackie

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 11:52:12 AM »
There were paper bags in matching colours too. As coins were cheap in the US, I got quite a few of them. The carton was thick and heavy, if I remember correctly. They have all gone since, as I used them to ship out my duplicates in swap deals. Even the padded envelopes of those days were heavy, filled with "pre-dust", rather than plastic bubbles.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 05:13:06 PM »
Hello, dheer and others.

I started collecting in the "late 1950s" and colored 2x2 holders were easily available. Of course I didn't think of it then, but they would have been great for color-coding the coins...by continent, century, grade....many possibilities. I used them because I just liked the colors. My 1 regret about my current project to recatalog and reholder is that the colored 2x2's will all be recycled. So I thought my post on "how 2x2's USED to look" would be fun and a bit historic (if not nostalgic). In a brief internet search I just made, I did find colored BOXES for 2x2 holders...but as for the colored holders themselves...alas...I fear they are lost to posterity.

Have a terrific day/evening everyone.    Alan...older than dirt :P
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 06:59:32 PM by alglasser »

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 06:11:57 PM »
Good to have this post, it keeps reminding everyone of things were in the past ...
Coin collecting is one aspect the other being able to store them in a nice way ... humm looks like except for COLOR, the flips didn't lose out much ... they are still the most preferred option to store coins
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies