Author Topic: Jahangir, 4 Tanki weight coins. Mint: Ahmedabad. AH 1019 RY 6  (Read 1055 times)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
The coin is in a very bad condition, How ever, i did not feel like cleaning it.

Obverse reads Falus Ahmedabad. The reverse seems like a month on top and RY date below. Weight is a 4 Tanki weight - about 15.5 - 16 g.

Please help attribute it.

Amit
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 08:24:44 AM by asm »
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Re: Please help attribute........Jahangir?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 03:17:17 PM »
Dear Amit,
What a good and exceptional find!
According to the weight  this coin belongs to the heavy coppers series of Jahangir
 Jahangir / heavy weight half dam  of Ahmadabad mint yr 6 with reverse legend : "rawani (sanah) 6"
(it isn't a persian month but the word "rawani"(current)  with "i" as separating line)

ref: A.Liddle (Coins of Jahangir) type C.26 (right picture coin)  RRR !! (weight 16,2g)

"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 06:17:55 PM »
A. Liddle catalogued this C.26 coin as a "half heavy dam", but with an overweight of 60%, I wonder if it could be better a 4 tanki ?
(heavy dams issues of Ahmadabad are only 20% overweighed and should weigh +/- 12g).

1/2 dam or 4 tanki, this coin remains rare... (RR and not RRR as I wrote previously..)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 03:08:14 AM »
A. Liddle catalogued this C.26 coin as a "half heavy dam", but with an overweight of 60%, I wonder if it could be better a 4 tanki ?
(heavy dams issues of Ahmadabad are only 20% overweighed and should weigh +/- 12g).

1/2 dam or 4 tanki, this coin remains rare... (RR and not RRR as I wrote previously..)
Thanks Saro for the perfect attribution. As you say, the weight is more like a 4 Tanki and 4 Tanki's of Jahangir from Ahmedabad are known. So may be a small error in Liddle's book calling it 1/2 of a Heavy Dam...........

Amit

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 09:45:08 AM »
Yes, there is a small mistake on A. Liddle's book : under ref C26, two coins are shown, the first is well a half heavy dam of Ahmadabad  dated yr 2,  and the second is with no doubt a 4 tanki of this same mint yr 6... weight given is 16,2g (probably for the 4 tanki) the  half dam should weigh +/- 12g), both are given "yr 6"...

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Re: Jahangir, 4 Tanki. Mint: Ahmedabad. RY 6
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 09:45:12 AM »
Here is another one, very clear. Obverse: Rawani, 6 and reverese: 1019, Zarb Falus, Ahmedabad (bottom to top).

Amit
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 08:19:46 AM by asm »

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Re: Jahangir, 4 Tanki weight coins. Mint: Ahmedabad. AH 1019 RY 6
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 08:24:17 AM »
There are a lot of blunders in Liddle as well as SACPM especially about the coins of Ahmedabad. In fact, I would say that both should be avoided when referring to the copper coins of Ahmedabad. Better information can be found here on WoC or on ZENO database.

Amit