Author Topic: Is Olive Oil safe for all metals?  (Read 6336 times)

Offline ChrisHagen

• Meritorious Member
Re: Is Olive Oil safe for all metals?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2013, 10:39:34 AM »
Greetings,

Quote from: akona20
So saying it can't happen is incorrect, it does and will continue until education corrects the market.
By this, do you mean cleaning of coins like the 2 anna posted here, cleaned as harshly, and by an actual dealer, expecting the value to increase? Or do you mean just cleaning by novice collectors?

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2013, 11:28:56 AM »
@Chris:
I understand you [and other collectors] maybe upset when you see a harshly cleaned coin.

As explained earlier most of the collectors in India are novice [not to say there aren't any real experts, there are quite a few] however in terms of percentage there are large number of novice collectors ... when one started collecting, there is a tendency to like coins that shine brightly ... they are introduced to such coins, get used to seeing such coins, any coin that is dull is uninteresting ... the dealers try to encash this opportunity, clean the coins, I have seen some recent coins machine cleaned / acid cleaned ... they look nice and shinny, a novice who is out to buy coins, likes the bright / shinny ones as all along hes been used / introduced to such coins ...
so over a period you would find quite a few who like shinny coins ... they dealers try to provide such by cleaning them, individuals who have dull coins convert them into shinny coins ...

It would take sometime for collectors to start liking old dull coins for what they are ... its not to far, its just a matter of time.

To that extent its a matter of liking as well ... Its like quite a few Europeans would find is disgusting to see someone eating food with bare hands [rather than fork & Knife] ... but well that how we eat our food here today.
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline ChrisHagen

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2013, 12:41:29 PM »
I guess I am just looking at it from a TOO European perspective. I never realized that there could be money in damaging a coin. Is it because the dealers who clean their coins do not know how to reach international buyers for their coins? If you ask any serious collector, they will tell you that cleaned coins as a rule sell for prices much lower than uncleaned coins (talking about cleaning the patina or toning, not about cleaning off dirt or encrustation).

Are there areas in India that both have no/poor internet coverage as well as enough coin collectors that a dealer could run a local business? I hope that it is clear that many of my questions are out of pure ignorance, not for the sake of an argument. Thanks to everyone for helping me understand this matter.

akona20

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2013, 12:54:32 PM »
coins more than 100 years old cannot be exported from India legally.

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2013, 06:48:38 PM »
Both the markets exists parallely ... so there are quite a few good dealers who have clients outside as well ... and then there is other market that caters other kind of coins, as there was a sudden rise in demand, the existing dealer did not have the time to educate everyone, there were other dealer who became dealers to make money rather than their passion for coins ... quite a few dealers wouldn't even know the significance of the coins they hold ... 

And as akona pointed out, taking out older coins out of India is illegal.
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline ChrisHagen

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2013, 03:24:48 PM »
I fail to understand how it is relevant that taking out the coins is illegal. There are hundreds of ancient Indian coins offered internationally on eBay at most any given time. This is how I got mine. They are beautiful and I love them, they are some of the most priced coins in my collection.

While I may be looking at this matter from a perspective that is too European, I think other parts in the discussion should take care not to be looking at it from at a perspective that is too Indian. There are also sellers of Indian coins outside India, and there are also people who clean coins outside of India. I was seeking to educate both when I commented how the original poster had completely ruined the numismatic value of his silver coin by cleaning it.

Even taking into account that there in a single country in the world exists a secondary market where cleaned coins might be held in regard, this is completely irrelevant. You should never clean your coins. I bet an uncleaned coin has more value in the right market than a cleaned coin in its right market.

akona20

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2013, 03:33:05 PM »
Ahhh the argument is circular. Some of these Indian coins are unique, many Indian coins are extremely rare so condition is often irrelevant in any case.

If you choose to buy Indian coins on Ebay sourced from India then a crime is being committed during the course of the transaction.

I might not agree with the law but at least I respect it.

Offline ChrisHagen

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2013, 04:44:07 PM »
Never mind.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Is Olive Oil safe for all metals?
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2013, 06:44:09 AM »
I have made some of the comments (made recetly) 'invisible'. Administrator will take appropriate action.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline redwine

• liaison officer
  • Honorary Member
  • Too old to care.
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2015, 08:10:59 PM »
I have made some of the comments (made recetly) 'invisible'. Administrator will take appropriate action.

Aditya

Those were my comments made some time ago and they were sound.  I'm still waiting.....  What action should I expect?  Eventually..............
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.