Author Topic: Indo-Baktria, Zoilos II (55-35 BC) Drachms  (Read 4178 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Indo-Baktria, Zoilos II (55-35 BC) Drachm, (BOP 1A)
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2021, 12:01:35 PM »
Don't be frustrated, xlinknz. This thread contains superb pictures, hard to compete with. That said, you did a perfectly good stitching job. The black background highlights the coin wonderfully. Congratulations on your acquisition!

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Online THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2021, 12:24:42 PM »
For a first try your photos are quite OK i''d say !
At first sight i was a bit put off by the lack of detail on the surface, especially in the portrait of the ruler. I suspect this coin might have had some horn silver on the surface which was removed, explaining the bit washed out look.
Regarding the attribution, i have no firm standpoint. I think it is best to let the coins speak for themselves. So your addition is very welcome !

Anthony

Offline xlinknz

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2021, 03:06:09 AM »
Anthony and Peter

Thank you for your kind words

Whilst I am on a roll here is a Zoilos II Bop 1Y that I acquired at the same time 17mm 1.84g

It has the black patina on it and I wasn't sure whether I should try to remove it and if so is the safest option lemon juice?

NB: Can the thread be renamed to not be Bop reference specific and just generic Zoilos II?

« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 07:01:22 AM by xlinknz »

Online THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Indo-Baktria, Zoilos II (55-35 BC) Drachms
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2021, 08:15:37 AM »
I would leave the surface alone. Black could mean silverchloride coating, won't come of with weak acids.
I renamed the opening post of the thread, so it now is more general.