login

Author Topic: Tannu Tuva coinage 1934  (Read 3851 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Tannu Tuva coinage 1934
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2017, 03:35:23 PM »
OK, I'll stick my neck out. I think the pinholes are cleaning, not casting, so the coin is genuine. Compare your coin with the others in the thread. All of them have oxidation. Clean it away and you'd see what you see on your coin: unevenly divided holes, concentrated in certain areas, absent in others. Nevertheless, the evidence is weak and there is a seat-of-the-pants element in my judgement, but unless you find differences in the design, I'll stick with that.

Don't worry much about the weight. This is close to emergency coinage in "interesting times". Even it they were minted in the best mint of the Russian Soviet Republic, sometimes, speed must have been more important than quality. Same thing for smooth and reeded edges. Some modern mint can still produce such errors even in peaceful times, while a forger has a vested interest in getting such a simple thing right.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline MORGENSTERNN

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2017, 07:44:40 PM »
Thank you Peter !

I also think that the coin is genuine (I found another one in better grade with the same cud errors)
That example was probably cleaned (with a chemical product or acid) after been damaged by environmental conditions

More pictures from my coin with better definition (previous was from seller)
And details of the cud errors on the other coin
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 03:18:25 PM by MORGENSTERNN »

Offline MORGENSTERNN

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2017, 08:03:33 PM »
It might be good to post a pic of an aluminium 20 kopeek piece from 1934. Offered on ebay for some time now.

More about this aluminium token compared side to side with the normal 20 kopeek coin.

The weight of the aluminium token is 1.42 grams and diameter is 24 mm with plain edge
Normal coin weights 3.45 grams for a 22 mm diameter with reeded edge
Both got a medal alignment
Please see pictures below

Strike details are similar to me but the token seems "uncirculated" (defaults are anterior to the strike) while the coin is worn with damages.
My guess is the token was an aluminium poor flan used to check the machinery before start the production of normal coins.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 10:47:47 PM by MORGENSTERNN »