News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Thailand Y328

Started by Figleaf, September 28, 2008, 01:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between Thailand Y 382.1 and Y 382.2? The descriptions in KM are exactly the same and the pics look the same also...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Rangnath

I guess what I have is what you have on this:
Y# 382
Denomination 10 Baht
Country Thailand
Government Kingdom of Thailand (1939-)
Ruler Bhumipol Adulyadej (Rama IX)
Coinage Type Decimal Coinage
Mint Bangkok
Composition Bi-Metallic Brass center in Copper-Nickel ring
Weight 8.55 g 
Diameter 26 mm
Edge Type Alternating reeded and plain
Subject Department of Internal Trade 60th Anniversary May 5
Description Obverse Head left
Description Reverse Department logo

"Numismaster" and my older catalog offer nothing on Y382.1 and Y382.2.  In fact, only Y382 is listed in those two sources.
Richie

Figleaf

Maybe someone else asked the question first, if Numismaster doesn't have both. Thanks for helping out, Rangnath.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

africancoins

Surely your question is wrong...  The question is likely...  what is the difference between Thailand 10 Baht Y-328.1 and Thailand 10 Baht Y-328.2...... The SCWC2008 and SCWC2009 editions both show a difference (just from the illustrations) in the obverse portrait in terms of size and also in terms of the relative postion compared to the edge in the inner part of the coin (a bi-metallic).

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Figleaf

You're right, Paul. It's 328, not 382.

Peter

Rangnath

Nice work Aftricancoins!
richie

adam

Here are 328.1 and 328.2 Golden Jubilee. As far as I know, 328.1 was minted by Royal Thai Mint and 328.2 was minted by IPZS. IPZS did all processes from large plaster model sent from RTM. That's why the detail is slightly different. And the center dics made by RTM is larger than those from IPZS too.
Thai bimetallic coins and nickel alloy 10, 20, 50 & 100 baht coins
Last update: Dec 2015 updated only nickel coin info.

Bimat

Didn't know that IPZS struck coins for Thailand,too! I used to think that all the Thai coins have been minted by Heaton mint..Thanks for those superb scans!

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Figleaf

Thanks, Adam. Very helpful. The easy way to distinguish the two would be to look at the descenders of the characters at 11 and 12 o'clock on the ring on the obverse: on the upper coin they touch the "pill", on the lower coin they don't. Numismatica, it may be helpful for KM to know they use exactly the same description for two sub-types and what the difference is.

Peter

Globetrotter

my documentation based on the findings here

Figleaf

It looks like the two coins are of the same sub-type, Ole. As Adam said above, the pills are of a different size. Yours are the same size. The sub-type missing is the lower one in Reply #6). To see the most obvious difference, look at the character exactly at 12 o'clock. Now locate the fifth character on its right. These characters both have a descender (a line going below the bottom of most characters, like y, p and j in the latin alphabet). On the upper coin, those descenders touch the pill. On the lower coin they don't. In reality, this effect is likely caused mostly by the slightly different sizes of ring and pill, but look, the descenders are the same length on the upper coin, but not on the lower coin!

Peter

africancoins

Ole has already got the details for Y-328.1 vs Y-328.2 here...

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces1639.html

Thanks Mr Paul Baker