Author Topic: Mint marks on coins  (Read 4622 times)

Offline Idris Sayyad

Mint marks on coins
« on: March 30, 2013, 10:52:21 AM »
I was just wondering whether,   are there any countries which mint the coins without any mint marks on them?   
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 08:55:09 PM by <k> »

Offline Buffalosoldat

• Please do not read this sentence.
Re: mint marks on coins
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 01:21:08 PM »
With the exception of Jefferson Nickels from 1942-1945, US coins minted in Philadelphia did not carry mintmarks until 1979 (Susan B. Anthony Dollars) or 1980 (Kennedy Half, Washington Quarter, Roosevelt Dime and Jefferson Nickel). The Lincoln Cent minted in Philadelphia still does not carry a mint mark and never has. All other coins produced at any other mint in the US carry a mint mark.

To my knowledge, New Zealand coins do not carry mint marks.

Cheers,
Tim

P.S. May the numismatic gods strike me down if I'm wrong.
We enjoyed having you. We hope you enjoyed being had.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
mint marks on coins
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 01:21:47 PM »
Our own Kolkata mint does not have any mint mark. ;)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
mint marks on coins
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 01:30:34 PM »
British coins do not have any mint mark either..

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
mint marks on coins
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 01:35:32 PM »
In case of Euro coins, Irish Euro coins (struck at Irish Mint in Dublin) do not carry any mint mark. Same is the case with Austria (coins struck at Austrian mint).

Aditya

Offline Buffalosoldat

• Please do not read this sentence.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 01:44:46 PM »
Some countries do not put a mint mark on coins from their central/main mint, the Philadelphia Mint in the US being a prime example until the dates mentioned above. This varies from country to country, and may even vary over time depending on which mint is regarded as the central mint. On the other hand, France's principle mint is in Paris, but at times it has put a mint mark on coins for Paris, and at other times it has not. This has generally reflected that only the Paris mint is producing coins, so there is no "need" to put a mint mark on the coins.

Tim
We enjoyed having you. We hope you enjoyed being had.

Offline Idris Sayyad

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 02:01:27 PM »
Our own Kolkata mint does not have any mint mark. ;)

Aditya

thank you sir,  Iagree with this,  I meant to ask - like if there is  any country where not even single  of the coins carry mint marks at present

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 02:27:27 PM »
Lots of countries which have their coins produced either by the only mint in the country, or by some other mint in a different country, will not use mint marks.

The French coins are minted in Pessac, by the way. Some collector coins may still be produced in Paris, not sure. But the horn of plenty (cornucopia) mark simply indicates the company, not the location or facility. Modern Swiss coins are minted in Bern, and for a while the Swiss mint did not use a mint mark. But since 1986 it has been on the coins again ...

Christian

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
mint marks on coins
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 03:46:11 PM »
If you are really interested in finding some modern scarce coins without mint mark ;), try finding Monaco €1 dated 2007. All the Monegasque Euro coins show Paris mint's mintmark and privy mark. In 2007, Paris mint 'forgot' to add the mint mark and privy mark and before they could realize the error, some coins had already been put into circulation. The entire batch was immediately recalled back,  however a total of 2991 coins made their way into circulation. (Total mintage was 100,000). Those error coins are now extremely rare...

Aditya

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 04:41:54 PM »
As far as I am aware, no currently circulating UK coin has a mintmark, and none has had since decimalisation. However, a variant of the Millennium £5 commemorative from 2000 (legal tender but never used in practice) has a mintmark representing the Millennium Dome in east London (now the MMO2 Arena), as those coins were struck at the Royal Mint's stand at the exhibition.

Going back further, the last time British circulation coins carried a mintmark AFAIK was the pennies of 1912, 1918 and 1919, which carried the H and KN marks for Heaton and Kings Norton in Birmingham. A handful of Victorian bronze issues also have H. But overall the modern British series must be one of the most mintmark-free series in existence.

Offline Idris Sayyad

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 06:02:25 PM »
As far as I am aware, no currently circulating UK coin has a mintmark, and none has had since decimalisation. However, a variant of the Millennium £5 commemorative from 2000 (legal tender but never used in practice) has a mintmark representing the Millennium Dome in east London (now the MMO2 Arena), as those coins were struck at the Royal Mint's stand at the exhibition.

Going back further, the last time British circulation coins carried a mintmark AFAIK was the pennies of 1912, 1918 and 1919, which carried the H and KN marks for Heaton and Kings Norton in Birmingham. A handful of Victorian bronze issues also have H. But overall the modern British series must be one of the most mintmark-free series in existence.

Thank you sir , that was informative :)

Offline Idris Sayyad

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 06:03:30 PM »
If you are really interested in finding some modern scarce coins without mint mark ;), try finding Monaco €1 dated 2007. All the Monegasque Euro coins show Paris mint's mintmark and privy mark. In 2007, Paris mint 'forgot' to add the mint mark and privy mark and before they could realize the error, some coins had already been put into circulation. The entire batch was immediately recalled back,  however a total of 2991 coins made their way into circulation. (Total mintage was 100,000). Those error coins are now extremely rare...

Aditya

would be very lucky if i get one then :) ,

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
mint marks on coins
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 06:06:22 PM »
would be very lucky if i get one then :) ,

Wish you good luck! :) The coin is quite expensive (last time I saw one was being sold for something like €400)...the problem is not money (if you have that much of money of course!) but finding a dealer who has it. :-\ It's quite scarce and I haven't seem many dealers offering it for any price..

Aditya

Offline Idris Sayyad

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 06:17:49 PM »
Wish you good luck! :) The coin is quite expensive (last time I saw one was being sold for something like €400)...the problem is not money (if you have that much of money of course!) but finding a dealer who has it. :-\ It's quite scarce and I haven't seem many dealers offering it for any price..

Aditya

oh..!cannot invest so much:), now i am doing my college and all my coin collection is with hard saved mine and my brothers pocket money:)
costly coins mostly after getting job :)