News:

Read all about the Grand Numismatic Alliance

Main Menu

is this a coin ?

Started by Kdes24, April 14, 2013, 12:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kdes24

I'm working through a collection have been given and an struggling to identify the coin in the attached photos.  I'm not even sure it's a coin. 

measures 25 mm and is quite thin.

any help appreciated
thanks
Kevin

Figleaf

The design is that of a coin: Spain 1/2, 1, 2 or 4 reales of the Reyes Católicos (1469-1504). Exact identification depends on details on the coins. Please post a larger image.

However, the coin should be silver. If it is not, the coin is an imitation. It looks brassy on your image. If you have trouble determining whether the coin is silver, ask a jeweller.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

FosseWay

I have something similar which definitely is not silver, which I had always presumed was a "Nürnberg" jeton (in the broadest sense, i.e. not necessarily made by the Lauers or even anywhere near Nürnberg). Therefore I'd class it as a counting token (is that the right term? the only word that springs to mind is Rechenpfennig and I can't remember what the English is) or conceivably a forgery that was intended to be silvered before use.