Author Topic: The British Aluminium Co Ltd (note also includes WEBSTER'S PATENT)  (Read 9926 times)

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
MEDAL MADE OUT OF THE FIRST LOT OF BRITISH ALUMINIUM. CARGAN LARNE FOYERS MILTON JUNE 1896
Rev. female seated torch in hand. Machinery & aluminium ingots around. Power lines, factory and hills in background.

MADE OUT OF THE FIRST LOT OF WEST HIGHLAND ALUMINIUM.
Rev. DE NACH DEAN AN T'UISGE, 'NUAIR A RINN E MISE.  = What water can not do, when it can make me. Hills and smelting plant in background. ex. kinlochleven.

Both, needless to say, aluminium and 38mm.

The British Aluminium Co Ltd was formed on 7 May 1894, acquiring the British and colonial rights for the Bayer and Héroult patents for alumina extraction and aluminium reduction.
Until the end of the 19th century, aluminium was still regarded as a precious metal, due to the difficulties experienced in its extraction. In the late 1880s and early 1890s, innovations in the extraction of alumina from ore (bauxite) and of converting this into aluminium by electrolysis had precipitated a drastic fall in the price of the metal.
British Aluminium Co commenced production of carbon at Greenock, Inverclyde, in 1897, and Kinlochleven, Highland, Scotland, from 1909.
source.

At Kinlochleven, construction of the smelting works began in 1904 and was completed in 1909, but aluminium was produced in a temporary smelter in 1907. source
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 11:15:10 PM by malj1 »
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline bagerap

• Honorary Member
Re: The British Aluminium Co Ltd
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 12:43:20 PM »
From 1908;

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 01:19:07 PM »
That is interesting. WITH THE COMPLIMENTS OF THE ALUMINIUM CORPORATION LTD 54, PARLIAMENT ST, LONDON S.W. reverse FRANCO-BRITISH EXHIBITION LONDON 1908 COURT OF HONOUR [from the BM notes] Aluminium 39mm.

Yet a notice later that year on page 9784 of the Government Gazette of December 22nd, 1908 states that the company was in liquidation.

...too many free samples?

The British Museum have an example here

Malcolm

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 09:59:10 PM »
>>FRANCO-BRITISH EXHIBITION LONDON 1908<<

A new programme on TV just now mentioned that the BBC Television Centre was built on the site where the Franco-British Exhibition of 1908 had been...  some tiling on the floor remaining from the time of the exhibtion was shown near Studio One and detailed as the last remains there from that period - the BBC have almost completed vacating the whole centre...

I have an old Aluminium related piece for Lochaber somewhere.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 11:27:31 PM »
I have an old Aluminium related piece for Lochaber somewhere.
Thanks Mr Paul Baker

I hope you can look out the Lochaber piece and add it to the page.

I have another, a somewhat scruffy, WEBSTER'S PATENT ALUMINIUM METALS W.J.T. LONDON below HEAD OFFICE 34 St. MARY AXE LONDON, E.C. Aluminium 30mm.
(Another is known with 34 Leadenhall St. on the reverse.)

JAMES FERN WEBSTER (1821-1904) was pioneer in Aluminium Production, his patent can be seen here. A history was written by his grandson and can he seen here.

A Standing Joke
Webster was very proud of his discoveries, but he lived in dread of spies, and it became a standing joke for his friends to greet him in German. Fearing that his secrets would be stolen, he took every precaution to keep strangers away from the factory and carried his secrets about with him. Efforts were, in fact, made by spies to obtain his formula and several times his factory was entered. He died at the age of 84 with his efforts unrecognised”.
Birmingham Sunday Mercury, 20 November 1938.
Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 11:37:38 PM »
Another variety of the WEBSTER'S PATENT token was recently seen on eBay with addresses in London and Birmingham. 63mm and presumably aluminium.
[Unfortunately the reverse is not now available.]
Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 04:27:01 AM »
My WEBSTER'S PATENT token is shown again after a rather drastic cleaning method. The scratches caused by a previous owners attempt at cleaning stand out. the makers name W.J.T.London can now be seen clearly.

William Joseph Taylor was born in Birmingham in 1802. By the 1840s Taylor was established as a medallist and dealer. During his career he produced a considerable number of coins and tokens, mainly for export.  He set up a business as a die-sinker, medallist and engraver in London in 1829. The business was first housed at 5 Porter Street, Soho, London, then at 3 Lichfield Street, Birmingham. In 1843 it moved to 33 Little Queen Street and finally to 70 Red Lion Street in 1869, where Taylor died in 1885.  After his death Taylor's sons Theophilus (left the business in 1892) and Herbert took over the business which operated until c. 1908.

On another forum "constanius" mentions he thinks it is a composition of something like aluminium and German silver/nickel silver; I agree as it is too heavy for aluminium alone. [I shall weigh when my batteries are recharged]
Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 01:09:22 AM »
Another aluminium pioneers piece added;
H McLELLAN & Co, 37 HADDINGTON PLACE, AND 32 SOUTH BRIDGE, EDINBURGH / WE ARE THE PIONEERS OF ALUMINIUM IN SCOTLAND, 25mm.

I have yet to find any information about this elusive company.
Malcolm

Offline constanius

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 01:22:35 AM »

Obv. WEBSTER'S PATENT ALUMINIUM METALS * below a tiny W.J.T. LONDON / TRADE (A phoenix rising from a flaming crucible) MARK
Rev. HEAD OFFICE 34 LEADENHALL St. LONDON, E.C.
30mm by William Joseph Taylor for James Webster's Aluminium Crown Metal Co.

The Company was formed in 1894, the same year that this unlisted medal is dated.  The 1896 medal using a similar design is BHM#3498 and is listed as RR.

Pat
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 09:22:08 PM by constanius »

Pat

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 01:48:51 AM »
I take it that "The 1896 medal using a similar design is BHM#3498 and is listed as RR." refers to the piece at the start of the thread? I have seen another for sale recently.

Good to see the Webster piece bearing the Leadenhall St address that I have been looking for.
Malcolm

Offline constanius

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 03:37:47 AM »
I take it that "The 1896 medal using a similar design is BHM#3498 and is listed as RR." refers to the piece at the start of the thread? I have seen another for sale recently.

Yes, that is the one :)

Pat

Pat

Offline constanius

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 03:43:05 AM »
I also have the second one in the thread, the 1907 Kinlocheven, that is BHM#3951 RRR.

We obviously have similar tastes, as far as medals go :)

Pat
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 09:27:28 PM by constanius »

Pat

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2014, 03:08:59 AM »

We obviously have similar tastes, as far as medals go :)

Pat

Yes!  8)  I have now got a poorer example of the 1894 type. A faceless woman unfortunately and the telephone? line is indistinct.
Malcolm

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 12:02:58 PM »
I would suggest that they are electricity cables. Aluminium smelting requires loads of electricity.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline constanius

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2014, 02:21:07 AM »

This is interesting, brought over eBay(did not read all the blurb), what sold me on it at first sight was the condition but then on a second look the variation in the '3' made it a must have. 

Taking the photos I had a very pleasant surprise.......apart from the raised edge & beading.....all the reverse was all incused!   

I looked at the sellers listing again, and he had stated that fact, but it was not apparent from his picture.  When you first see the picture above it does look incused but quickly the letters looked raised, try looking away for a few seconds then look again, it should appear incused for a second or two.

Try this link
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn21/constanius/DSCF3044.jpg 

Pat
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 09:31:22 PM by constanius »

Pat