News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Take a long life home

Started by Figleaf, March 17, 2013, 06:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malj1

Quote from: bagerap on July 30, 2013, 05:40:53 PM
A later iteration:

This one is the first type listed in the catalogue at 240. - logically it does seem to be the forerunner of the series.

The stock reverse previously shown was used on many other issues, such as the Bell issues, and as noted was modified for use with decimal currency at 25p.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

bagerap

I'm having trouble with the timeline here. Some of these tokens are obviously from fruit machines which were, AFAIK illegal at the start of the sixties. Which is not to say that they didn't exist, but you wouldn't expected to see them openly in pubs. Secondly 5/- , was a reasonable sum, average price of a pint was 1/6-1/10 (London prices 1966). So a 5/- win was around four pints, £12.00 today.
So would Long Life have put their name to tokens for illegal machines, the type used in the spielers (illegal drinking & gambling clubs) of the time.  After the 1968 Gaming Act, licensed machines in pubs began to pay out tokens but from memory I think they were to the value of sixpence. A long way from five shillings.

malj1

The Bell-Fruit Manufacturing Co. Ltd, was formed in 1963 so this gives only a small time-frame for the use of this type of 5/- token of only eight year before decimalisation; reducing to only three if your date of 1968 is put in place. Watneys, West Country Breweries, Vaux Breweries, Charrington were among others other using this reverse around the same time, I don't have a date for these or the Long Life one.

Bell-Fruit Games Ltd (BFG), known originally as Bell-Fruit Manufacturing Co. Ltd, was formed in 1963 and quickly gained a reputation as a leading designer and manufacturer of gaming machines for the UK. 1999 signalled a distinct change of emphasis when the company focused its strategy on the design, development and manufacture of games, concentrating on the design and development process. In line with this re-alignment of focus to creative design, the company changed its name to Bell-Fruit Games.

Source.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.