Take a long life home

Started by Figleaf, March 17, 2013, 06:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

Obviously a UK gaming token, but I am intrigued by "long life"and "take home".

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

andyg

always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Figleaf

So THAT's what you are supposed to take home. Best before end of can...

Thank you andyg.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

andyg

token I think dates from before the can!
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

translateltd

The fact that you had to be over 18 to qualify points in the same direction, even if it was an earlier product of the same name.

bagerap

It's the same beer but as guessed somewhat earlier than the example pictured. Long Life was advertised as "The First Beer Brewed For The Can" around the early 60's. This token should be  around 1964.

Figleaf

1964. Vietnam and Tonkin, Kennedy and Johnson, Beatles and Stones, Goldfinger and Shirley. A long life indeed...

Peter

bagerap

One of the reasons I'm reasonably sure of the date, my father drank the stuff, ironically he died in 67.

malj1

Also to be noticed is that it is a pre-decimal amount of 5l- which of course places it before the 1970's.

Listed in 'Machine Tokens' as Hayes 240.4 with another five minor varieties - size of font and missing punctuation etc. He has the location as Romford and Burton - unsure if this still applies?
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

bagerap

Romford and Burton were the Northern and Southern offices  of the then fledgling company that would become Allied Breweries

Figleaf

Good sleuthing! Thank you gentlemen.

Peter

redwine

A slight variation  8)
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

malj1

This latter one is Hayes 240.2 while the first one at the head of the thread with both central L's in outline only, is the scarcer Hayes 240.4

Note the 5/. on both - another variety has  the 5/- correctly.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

redwine

A couple of interesting cross overs  8)
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.