Author Topic: Menander, Bactria or fantasy?  (Read 1109 times)

Offline BACTRIANUMIS

• bactrianumis.com
Menander, Bactria or fantasy?
« on: March 13, 2013, 07:51:00 PM »
Dear Colleagues, this piece was qualified on one of the forums as "not genuine, see fantasy coin".
What is your opinion?
Thanks in advance!

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Menander, Bactria or fantasy?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 08:47:49 PM »
Could you indicate size and weight please ?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 09:06:46 PM by THCoins »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 10:52:56 PM »
The second picture shows that this is an electrotyped imitation filled with another substance. The weight should indeed be wrong.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 09:42:00 AM »
The thin layer seen at the reverse with the cracks beneath not reaching the surface indeed is very suggestive of a imitation. Also the rather yellow copper metal aspect of the edge side is not what i would expect in a copper of this time and location.

A wrong weight iseems not really a factor in determining the genuinness of the coin in this case.  As far as i know Menander did not issue round coppers, only silver. So there is no correct weight i know of. I was mainly wondering what type of coin this specimen would be based on. Most likely a tetradrachm.

Of the depiction, the spacing of the BASILEOS inscription seems wrong, also the large bead rim is incorrect.
It is interesting that  Menander looks overstruck on another coin. There looks to be a top of a head with irradiating spikes in front of Menander's face. I don't know a contemporary copper candidate on which a Menander overstrike could have been made during his reign. There are copper Seleucid coins with such design (Antiochus IV). But these were likely just for local use and would not have traveled to Bactria. At that time the entire Parthian empire separated Bactrian and Seleucid territories.

So unless someone may produce convincing couter-arguments, for the moment my verdict would be: not genuine.