Author Topic: Nayaks of Chitradurga: Durgi Gold Pagoda  (Read 1381 times)

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
Nayaks of Chitradurga: Durgi Gold Pagoda
« on: March 14, 2013, 07:10:17 AM »
Medieval Hindu Kingdom, Nayaks of Chitradurga, Durgi Pagoda, 3.26g

Obv: Goddess wearing crown surmounted by dotted border

Rev: Name of ruler (unclear) in Nagari

Note (source: Wikipedia)

The Nayaks of Chitradurga ruled over Eastern Karnataka. The word Nayak means Chief. During the rule of Hoysala Empire and Vijayanagara Empire, they served as a feudatory chiefdom. Later after the fall of the Vijayanagara empire, they ruled at times as an independent kingdom and at other times as feudatory of the Mysore Kingdom, Mughal Empire and Maratha Empire. Finally it merged into the province of Mysore under the British.

The Chitradurga Fort was their stronghold and the very heart of the province. 'Chitra' means picture and 'durga' means fort implying Chitradurga meant 'a picturesque fort'. The fort is located in Chitradurga District, Karnataka and is spread over seven hills in the midst of scenic valleys formed by the Vedavati river.
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
Re: Nayaks of Chitradurga: Durgi Gold Pagoda
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 07:20:39 AM »
I'm taking a guess that the Durgi Pagoda is named either after the place of issue ie Chitradurga shortened to Durgi or the Goddess Durga which might have been their patron deity and hence featured on the coin or symbolic as representing the martial qualities of the Nayakas as Durga is the war-like avatar of Goddess that destroys evil (my wife takes this avatar quite very often whenever I go out for a pint!)

Offline Vivek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 07:31:47 AM »
Thanks Mitresh for sharing this coin...Very nice. I would love to have one in my collection!!

City is situated on Pune Bangalore Highway.This fort is located in Chitradurga city.
I have personally visited this fort 2-3 times. Very nice place.
 Madakai Nayak was famous among the Nayaks of the Chitradurga. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madakari_Nayaka) You have few movies on Onake Obavva and Madkari nayaka in Kannada. This song from Movie Nagarhavu gives you view of the fort and story of Onake Obavva.

In this song Obavva takes Durga avatar as per the song.

Currently this fort is famous because of Monkey man.

Vivek

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 07:36:17 AM »
Vivek hi! Thanks for sharing the links. Lucky you, I wish to see the fort and history of the place one day.