Author Topic: Coin storage  (Read 1313 times)

Offline indischer

Coin storage
« on: March 08, 2013, 09:32:00 AM »
A new topic to show and discuss about different ways of coins storage.

To store my coins, I like this old  printer's furniture with all its drawers. They are a little too high but easy to have a look quickly on each of them. I don't like any protection because I can't imagine to not be able to touch my coins. All of them are past centuries or the witnesses of the History of parts of the world. By catching them in my hands, I travel.

Offline indischer

Re: Coin storage
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 09:36:58 AM »
For the coins I am not able to read and understand for myself (arab, persian, amharic and greek), I add a data that I print. After I protect each label with plastic to avoid insects to eat the paper. . . >:D

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 09:46:35 AM »
The secret of safe storage is knowing what the coins are in contact with. Every material carries a risk.

Young wood has juices that will attack metal. Generally speaking, the more expensive the wood, the safer.

Paper contains all kinds of harmful chemicals, including chlorides (making it white) and colouring.

Plastic may contain softeners that react with metal.

Textiles and cottonwool will react with metal.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 10:25:42 AM »
I like to be able to see coins set out on trays etc rather than packed in containers of some kind .

Some of those Persian/Arabic type coins in the lower photo look interesting, perhaps show some close up pics would be nice  8)
Vic

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 10:33:00 AM »
Looks like you have a nice collection.  I strongly recommend using 2x2 cardboard flips with mylar windows.  It is the next best thing to being able to touch the coins directly.  Moreover, it also slows down environmental damage, especially for silver and copper, and protects against scratches and damage if you accidentally drop a coin. 

As Peter pointed out, some materials in your cabinet may be harmful for your coins.  Maybe a little research into the back-material of your cabinet is warranted.  Valuable coins need to be taken care of!
Defending this hobby against a disapproving family since 1998.

Offline indischer

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 10:57:08 AM »
Thank you for all your advises. I know some of them with the chimical problems with all materials.
Regarding the Arabic-Persian coins shown in yhe picture, I will show them asap in new topics.