Author Topic: Ottoman coin, Mahmud 11  (Read 1294 times)

Offline alglasser

• Meritorious Member
Ottoman coin, Mahmud 11
« on: March 01, 2013, 03:38:35 AM »
Hello everybody. I have posted here this evening, 3 "new discoveries" from my years and years of collecting . The 2 "cob" (or is it cobb) coins are WAY out of my field. All I can tell you is that they were purchased during our years in Southern Peru. In cruising the internet this evening, I got the idea (perhaps incorrectly) that they are Bolivian and not Peruvian...but to be honest, I have no idea. The smaller coin does show PE (vertically) and measures roughly 2 cm in diameter and weighs approximately 3.64 grams. Is it 1 Real from the 1600's? The larger piece shows a prominant PQ (also vertically). Opposite the PQ is what appears to be VC(?) and measures approximately 3 cm in diameter and weighs approximately 13.5 grams. My guess is a 4 real piece from the 1600's but I can find no date nor denomination on either piece. I am stumped. Any Cob coinage experts out there? I'd be grateful for any assistance.

I did a bit better on the Turkey coin and think it may be KM-599?? The date appears to be 1223 (1808 I believe?) but what is meant by 1223/25 or 1223/26? I see no evidence of an "overdate" so may I assume it refers to another number feature on the coin?  This piece measures just under 4 cm in diameter.

I have been spending a lot of time of late on "inventories" of coins I have both collected while living overseas...and "accumulated" in 55 plus years in the hobby. I have a way to go but things are taking shape. (Thanks are due to many knowledgble friends here who have so kindly helped me with coins that I can't quite figure out.) Why am I doing this laborious project, I asked myself? Well, it's fun and...at age 62...one's thinking starts to plan for "future generations" and since I can't take my WHOLE collection with me when I "move on"  ::)  I want to make sure that my son (a noncollector sadly) has a sense of worth should he choose to liquidate my treasured coins. Of course...I'll be back to HAUNT him if he does... >:D

Anyway, there is considerable enjoyment in rediscovery of long forgotten coins I own...and when an unexpected "surprise" comes along...well that's a lot of fun too. I am loving this.

Anyway...sorry for the diversion...can anyone please assist with the 3 pieces here? As always...your help is very much appreciated!!!  Thanks.   Alan

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

translateltd

Re: Ottoman coin, Mahmud 11
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 03:47:24 AM »

I did a bit better on the Turkey coin and think it may be KM-599?? The date appears to be 1223 (1808 I believe?) but what is meant by 1223/25 or 1223/26? I see no evidence of an "overdate" so may I assume it refers to another number feature on the coin?  This piece measures just under 4 cm in diameter.

The second part of the date sequence is presumably the regnal year.  Yours looks to be 1223/23, i.e. regnal year 23 counting from 1808, so allowing for the 3% shorter lunar years, AD 1829, without looking it up any further :-)

The regnal year "23" is at the top of the "date" side, the full date "1223" being at the bottom.

akona20

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 03:53:53 AM »
The Ottoman coin is Mahmud 11

Offline alglasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 05:53:52 PM »
Hello, Martin and Akona 20. Thank you...THANK YOU for the help with the Turkish coin. Martin, now that I enlarged the scan, I clearly see the 23 at the top of the "date side" of the coin. I apologise for missing it initially. That rules out KM-599 as there is no 1223/23 (in SCWCs anyway). Now I'm considering KM-591 where the 1223 /23 is an "option".

Again, gentlemen, thank you.   Alan

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 07:40:50 PM »
Hello Alan. I think you are on the right track. All you still need is the denomination and that's easy. It's not indicated on the coin, so you go by size and weight. KM gives you weights to compare with and the illustrations in KM are more or less real size. BTW, it helps to remember that the long word with the two b-like letters is Constantinople (Qustantiniyah). That makes te whole coin decipherable: 23 zarb fi Qustantiniyah 1223. The word to the right of the "signature" is adil (the just)

As for the Spanish colonial pieces, I am separated from my trusted catalogue. If there is no answer by Tuesday, pls send me a PM reminder. There is enough info on the coin to identify it. However, please open a new thread for these coins to facilitate filing.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 09:58:31 PM »
The Turkish coin looks very silver -- most of those issues, regardless of denomination, are of very debased silver (down in the 0.100s sometimes) and most of mine look more coppery than that. Probably they got more debased over time and yours is an earlier issue. Can't check just now as I'm on a train in the middle of nowhere :-)