Author Topic: Coins of the Solomon Islands  (Read 2226 times)

Galapagos

Coins of the Solomon Islands
« on: September 20, 2008, 09:30:41 PM »
I don't know whether this set has ever circulated. The Royal Mint, who produced the first set, tell me that it was designed by a Mr David Thomas. I have been unable to find any definitive info on the man, though a piece on numismatic artist Avril Vaughan states that she studied under a David Thomas. Whether he is the same one, I don't know.

I emailed two artists I found on the web with the same name, but neither was the artist in question.

I particularly like the seven-sided $1 coin, showing the war spirit, Nguzu Nguzu - or Nusu Nusu, according to some versions. It reminds me of the Easter Island moai. I'm also a fan of heptagonal coins in general.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 10:37:37 PM by coffeetime »

Offline Enlil

Re: Coins of the Solomon Islands
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 11:40:46 AM »
I have a 2006 2 cent piece though it looks wird, the sides are rounded and the queen looks out of place, there is also mint marks on each side.

translateltd

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 06:07:14 PM »
I have a 2006 2 cent piece though it looks wird, the sides are rounded and the queen looks out of place, there is also mint marks on each side.

Can you supply a photo, please?  It sounds most intriguing.

andyg

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 11:41:34 PM »
The only picture I can find on the net is on another forum....

If you do a google search for Solomon Islands 2006 2 Cent you'll find it,
(along with associated comments from someone who lives in New Zealand.)

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 12:57:58 AM »
I found it with your simple clue.....

I notice that is slightly off-centre and...

the portrait is not all it appears to be...  When either our Royal Mint in Wales or the one in Australia make coins with this portrait then the portraits are thereabouts of total indistinguishable (except for overall size)...  But this portrait though the same as once on many GB coins at ONLY a first glance.... is actually without the designer initials on the base of the portrait and with much reduced jewel (etc..) detailing on the crown and different hair curls etc.. etc..  There are some (large copper-nickel) commemorative coins for small far away places that also have a portrait something like this.

Likely these will never see circulation - or perhaps even the Solomon Islands. This 2c coins reminds me a bit of the "multi-national set" of super low denomination coins each with a monkey design a few years ago. This 2c could even be unauthorised as I believe they were...

Thanks Mr Paul Baker